Harry Chapin Cat's Cradle by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:35 am

Scott- Many thanks. I look forward to your version!

Chris- Thanks for noticing the transitions. Not easy, so I did work on those a little extra :)

Buddy- It is a great song, isn't it. I think you uploaded a version as well, didn't you? I'll have to re-watch it if you did.

Nesh- Thank you. Re. the harmonies- I just hear them in my head. I'm still not convinced they're right for this song though. At first I thought they were just off (wrong pitch?), but now I think I agree with Dennis' comment.

Deuce- Cheers!

Willem- Thank you. It is a song that many people need to take to heart.

Suzi- I hear you about the bass notes. I know I missed a few and could have been louder with the ones that I hit. I appreciate that you picked up on it.

Craig- Thank you. I think you'd do a great version of this as well.

Kev- All is not doom & gloom. No loss of life or limb (yet!). :)

Hydro- Thanks.

Abilio- Glad you liked it.

Stuart- 'Best to date' is a good goal to achieve. Thanks.

Tony- Thank you. And thanks for reminding me that I should do another duet with the Mrs. Haven't had much time lately, but will get to it eventually.

Dennis- I hadn't thought of this at all! Excellent observation about the harmonies. That might be why I questioning them in my original post- and not knowing why!
Also- the guitar part is not multi-tracked. I think you're hearing the different patterns I tried to use, like Neil said in the lesson.

Bob- You can send your $10.50 for the CD anytime! Just make sure it's in Canadian funds! ;)

Dave- Thank you.

Pierre- Thanks. I tried to work on the switch between picking and strumming in this one.

Pete- 'Making it look easy' has been a main goal of mine. Thank you.

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Very nicely done Al, like Tony I got nothing to feedback apart from very well done.

haoli25

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 pm

SHOW OFF!!!! :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Excellent job, Al. The singing, playing, and mixing were all great. I really enjoyed watching your video. Thanks for posting it.

Bill Image

michelew

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 am

Al this is really beautiful and spooky as you say. I take Dennis' point about the solo singing, but I still found it REALLY moving.

I have to say (and you may not feel it), but I look at your playing and hear your singing and the whole package and I see a guitarist and a performer, not someone learning. You've really got a lot of skills and you use them well.

SO when is that album coming out? I hope I'm still near the top of the reserve list.

Fabulous!

Michele

BigBear

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Al- that was just teriffic!! Really nicely done. Picking was excellent and the vocals were your best yet.

I just started playing around with this song so once again, you've inspired me! You have a way of doing that!! LOL!

Thanks for sharing another great "Al Video". I've enjoyed every one of them! :cheer:

jayswett

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 pm

It didn't bring me to tears like The Fence did, but Wow, that sure was nice. Your singing and playing just get better and better.

MarkM

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Al..........

Wow!! I've been to this site so infrequently as of late that the only time I get is when I'm stuck in some hotel room. Austin TX tonight. So I'm sitting here with headphones on and realize that you posted this song. Oh good I say and off I hit the play button. What comes out of my little ear buds just grabs me and won't let go until the song is over. Your playing was very articulate in this performance and the tone you got was really, really good. Then you go and add your voice, the word sparkling comes to mind. Al you really out did yourself on this one. You told this story so well and I'll add to what Dennis said about the harmonies, it was like father and son were singing at the same time. Really well done and impressive work. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Lavallee

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Al, sorry to be so late I am not sure what I can add to all the unanimous comments, I also think it is was the best video you did when playing alone. I was reading your comments below the video and gave me the feeling thorough the performance that you not just singing but living it.

Truly enjoyed it

Marc

mbleier

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Al,
I've listened to this a couple of time and just keep enjoying it. Your videos always inspire me because you make things looks so natural. Thanks again for sharing with us a great rendition of a great song.
Thanks,

Mike

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry- Late with replies again.

Chas- Your comment is feedback enough. Thanks!

Bill- I take that as a compliment. For the longest time I felt I had nothing TO show off :)

Michele- You're sweet. No CD- unless there's a TG one in the works somewhere. That might be a good idea..

Rick- Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

Jay- "The Fence" is a tough one to top. Maybe the next one Helen and I tackle?

Mark- I never thought I'd hear 'sparkling' describe my singing or playing, but thank you.

Marc- Thank you. You're not far off with your comment.

Mike- Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic