Harry Chapin Cat's Cradle by AcousticAl

Hydroman52

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Al,

Very nice indeed! Good picking and harmonies sound mighty fine. Thanks for posting.

Hydroman52

abiliog

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Al,
Great job, love the feel, the vocals, everything.
Below the radar lately but flying high now
Thank you for another wonderful video,
Abilio

reiver

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Have to join in with those who think that this is your best to date. Solidly played and a great vocal. Really enjoyed it.

Stuart

tovo

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I'll join with the "this is your best" club, aside from "the Fence" with Helen which was so good I encourage anyone who didn't see it to check it out, brilliant it was. But back to this one. Just fantastic Al. I watched and tried to look for suggestions but I got nothing. A great tune and you played and sang it like a pro in my opinion. You never fail to pleasantly surprise with your vocals, always very, very nice. Bravo Al.

dennisg

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 pm

You know, Al, for the life of me, I can't understand why the hell it took you so long to start singing in your videos. You just have a terrific voice -- clear and pure, unadorned by bombast or affected vibrato.

The guitar playing is just beautiful, as is always the case with your playing. I don't know if it comes easily for you or if you have to spend weeks on this stuff, but the end result is always just smooth and fluid playing that sounds gorgeous.

An observation about multitracking: I sometimes wonder with your videos if you're playing more than one guitar part.

And a comment about the harmony: there's something symbolic about Harry Chapin singing this song alone, because that's precisely what the song is about -- the distance he's always erecting between himself and his kid. And, fittingly, the kid assumes the same behavior by the end of the song. Hearing the song sung in harmony goes against the grain, and suggests that the father and son are doing something together, which is the opposite of what Chapin wanted to convey.

And a piece of trivia for those old enough to appreciate it: Harry Chapin was the cousin of Lauren Chapin who played the younger daughter (Kitten) on Father Knows Best.

BobR

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi Al,

Well that was fantastic. I loved the whole thing. Your playing was terrific and your vocal and harmonies were great. I'd buy the CD.

Thanks for sharing this.

Bob

Thanks for the trivia Dennis.

tovo

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm

dennisg wrote:
And a comment about the harmony: there's something symbolic about Harry Chapin singing this song alone, because that's precisely what the song is about -- the distance he's always erecting between himself and his kid. And, fittingly, the kid assumes the same behavior by the end of the song. Hearing the song sung in harmony goes against the grain, and suggests that the father and son are doing something together, which is the opposite of what Chapin wanted to convey.
I think that's a really great observation. I learned something about conveying a tune from it that I hadn't considered.

Back to showering praise on Al.......

millponddave

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Al, Fantastic job. Really, really nice. Nothing more to say.

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Al, this is a jewel ... all I can add is that your right hand adapts quite gracefully when going from picking to strumming, and also from strumming to picking, which is especially difficult to achieve.

Hear ! Hear ! (mispelled on porpoise :P )

Pierre

pbraun

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:04 am

Wow Al that was perfect. You always make it look so easy!
Pete

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic