Ten Years After I'd Love To Change The World by mbleier

mbleier

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks all for the kind words and tips...

Neverfoundthetime - Sorry I don't know your name, but I appreciate you taking the time to check out the video. I am trying to post as much as I can find the time for which is almost every time I play these days. I am doing this for two reasons; one to get over recording myself and being able to put out a video that more accurately reflects where I am in working on a song, and two to get as much feedback as I can so that I reduce the bad habits that playing on your own can instill.

Buddy - Thank you very much for your comment. I really respect you playing ability and hope in another five or ten years of playing to start to approach the smoothness of playing that you bring to the table. I enjoy this song but often forget about it. I think I will strive to make it more of a regular in my practice repertoire.

Scott - It is a great one for timing, I agree. Doing this video was the first time I have ever played it with a metronome and made me more conscience of my timing and definitely more aware of when I was off. I think playing this more and playing it more with a metronome is going to be huge for me.

Bob - Thanks, it is a fun one to play once you get the sequence down.

Dave - It is a fun one. I have seen your videos and I'm sure you could do well on this one. It is just unique because it is mostly picking individual notes with just a little strumming. Neil as always does a good job in the video and his slowed down version which is slower than I played (although up to speed seems quite a bit faster than I did it at) makes it very doable.

Marc - You have been consistent with giving me feedback on my strumming technique and it has been very helpful. I know I ingrained a poor technique with the strumming so I am trying hard to correct it. I appreciate the feedback and am glad that I have started to see a little improvement. Just knowing that it was there helps a lot although when the camera goes on it seems easy to forget to focus and go into autopilot. Thanks again for the help.

Willem - I know what you mean, part of why I love checking out other people's videos and reading all the comments is that so many are applicable to things I need to work on.

Scott - Thanks for the kind words and useful comments. It is so easy especially on a song like this to over focus on the right hand, and with the chords being easy ones for the most part the left hand seems like something I don't need to worry about. I really like getting these comments because I know as I said to Marc that I spent so much time playing in my own vacuum that I let bad habits and sloppiness come into my playing so having people point out these things is really the reason I have stuck with totally guitars and why I really really wanted to get videos up online. Thanks again.

Mike

willem

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing Mike. It's indeed very good to show others where you're at with a song.

You've already gotten some feedback. And to add something to it, I do think you can handle this tempo...but you really need to try to get the timing right. You got the metronome going, wich is great, but during the picking parts I have the feeling you're not really paying attention to it, wich I can imagine since you're really focused on the picking itself. So for that you indeed should slow down just a little to get that right, wich I'm sure you can, I mean the getting it right part! ;)

Cheers

Ness

jayswett

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Great job on a great song. Keep up the good work.

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks

skaladar

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:13 am

Good work Mike. This is a very good song to learn from a technique point of view. It’s a great exercise in alternate picking, the transition from picking to strumming and back and overall timing. It’s nice to see you working with a metronome, it can be an enormous help, although I tend to agree with Ness. You seem to stray a bit during the picking parts and then get it together again when strumming. Slowing down and paying a little closer attention to the metronome wouldn’t hurt even if you feel comfortable the current speed. As far as the camera nerves goes, I don’t think your be human if it didn’t affect you, but there are things you can do to lessen the camera’s effect. I find that recording as often as is practical helps in a number of ways beyond getting a video ready for upload. It’s a great tool for monitoring your progress and making adjustments based on watching the replay. It gives you a chance to see things from a different perspective than from behind the guitar. I record new songs I’m working on as soon as I can get through them and then periodically as I progress and I’m always noticing areas that need focus. In addition, If you can just snap the camera on during normal practice sessions you tend to forget it’s running … well almost. Then when you do want to upload something you’ll be less aware that you’re on camera during the recording session.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing …

♫ Ken ♫

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:22 am

Hey there Mike,

I love this song and have worked on it for quite a while as well. Im actually working on a fingerpicking version now. :)

No doubt you've clocked a lot of time to get it this far.

Others have pointed out the timing. You seem to follow the metronome during the strumming, but not during the picking.

Keep at it and I look forward to an update.

mbleier

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Ness - Thanks for the comments. I will try it again at a slower speed. I actually starting at a slower speed and found it more difficult playing this slowed down with the metronome, maybe because I could focus on it like you said instead of I guess ignoring it.

Jay - Thanks for the kind words.

Dermont - I played around a little with Don't Fear the Reaper a while ago, but never really got into it. I definitely see what you are saying though about a similar idea of doing a lot of picking of the notes in a chord. Not a bad idea to go back and check that one out again.

Ken - Thanks for the advice on recording. I have tried recording everything from a practice session but with starting and stopping after each take. I should try just letting it role and maybe I will start to be able to ignore the fact that it there. Maybe then I will be motivated to find some software that could then take the bits that are worth uploading and editing out the rest. Thanks for the idea.

Al - Thanks for commenting. This is one that I have had in my belt for a while and it is one that I play a bunch then forget about then bring it back. It is songs like this that I have played for a while that even when I record they don't sound that different to me. I recorded freight train a while ago and I recently rerecorded it and I am not sure if there is enough difference to make it worth posting. I guess I am self conscience enough that I figure people don't want me to just post a song over and over again when I feel like it is the same maybe just a slightly better take or maybe not. I have a hard distinguishing.

Thanks all, Mike

tovo

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey Mike just looked at this. Definitely progress is evident there so that's a good thing, keep it up! I feel that focusing on timing is something that will pay off for you, I would also say that I still think you're a bit heavy with your attack on the strings. Perhaps focus on a lighter touch. I know that was a comment in your previous video and I sure see improvement, so keep it a focus is all I'm saying I guess. Nice to see progress. Well done.

mbleier

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Tovo,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have continued to work on loosening up my attack. I feel like I have been starting to have some luck with that. I hope to post a Neil Young tune or two coming up where I can demonstrate some improvement on the attack. I think I will also continue to keep the metronome a constant part of my practices and postings. Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike

mbleier

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Tovo,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have continued to work on loosening up my attack. I feel like I have been starting to have some luck with that. I hope to post a Neil Young tune or two coming up where I can demonstrate some improvement on the attack. I think I will also continue to keep the metronome a constant part of my practices and postings. Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic