John Lennon Working Class Hero by cosmicmechanic

suziko

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Nicely done, Pierre! You've got a really nice voice and it is perfect for this song. I also loved the black and white effect of the clip. A very moving tribute to John Lennon.

Suzi

dsmarion

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice job Pierre. It is hard enough to keep a song going that repeats a lot of stuff for a long period of time, let alone sing with it and keep your place. Loved the black-n-white flavored vid too. Thanks for posting.

Scott

MarkM

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Pierre,

Well done!!! I've always loved this song. Great job on the singing. I really think you brought the right vibe with how you sang this. Not easy to do as you strum the chords. A few more run throughs and you'll be right there. The only advice I'll give is to focus more on the bass notes and strum a bit lighter between beats. Like I said though I'm sure you'll have this thing all polished up in no time.

Well every year at this time I'm still discusted with the loss of John. What a freaking waste. MDC should stay in jail for the rest of his life as far as I'm concerned. Not only did he rob John's family but the rest of the world by cutting him down that evening. It really would have been interesting to see what John would have done all these years. Especially now with the complete rediculousness of the current state of the country. Too bad we'll never know.

MarkM

MarkM

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi Pierre,

What can I say, I truly enjoyed it! My favorite of yours, really like your singing, it's indeed perfect for the song, very well done Pierre!

Ness

millponddave

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey, nice job. I have been working on this song as well and am finding it deceptively difficult considering it only has three chords.

Dave

lueders

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm

NICE Pierre!! I agree with Craig & Dennis...you definitely have the look and the vibe of the great one here!

buddy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Pierre, Tough tune to take on and you really did it justice. You sort of look like John in this video as well. What guitar are you playing in this ?

Bud

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Great upload Pierre.
And the strumming doesn't look easy at all!

Thanks for sharing.

dekotaj

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:17 am

Bravo!!Pierre

Great song!By a great song writer!

Kevin

cosmicmechanic

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Craig ... yes, I think of this song as being a steamroller ... slow and heavy,
it takes out everything in it's path, and whoever is left must start anew.
Thanks for the encouragement !

Dermot, I seem to recall that Apple once meant those flat round black things, instead of IPads. Thanks :)

Pete, I agree ... let's not ever forget John.

Willem, I did soooo many hammer-ons the day I recorded that video, I was hammering-on in my dreams!

Marc, as usual you can be counted on to give useful playing tips.
Thanks also for the singing comment ... about volume, I am finding that the built-in mike in my video camera gives variable
results, and I'm not aware that acoustics in a room can vary that much over the space of a few hours.
Maybe if I'm a good boy then Santa will consider getting me an external microphone ...

Jim, I appreciate your encouragement, do give this song a go, I'm convinced the techniques apply to many songs.

Chris, greetings from Tittenhurst! Glad I could spook you ! Within reason, that is ... just hoping not to creep you out too much though :)
The coordination of playing and singing was a big part of the challenge, as you are definitely aware, so I regard your
comments as high praise indeed.

Bob, thanks for the compliment. Yeah I just had to push that button before the (self-imposed) 12:00pm deadline
... guess I need pressure to get things accomplished.

Dennis, ha ! I've long wanted to use Google to research about gum-chewing singers, and keep forgetting to do so :)
So I just did and it seems to be a less than clear-cut discussion ... more research is needed (looks like a job for Totally Vocals).
Point taken about the limited string campout ... just the kind of input that will help it become more musical.
I really appreciate your comment.

Suzi, thanks for the warm pat on the back, this is fun !

Hi Scott, seems we often try repetitions on some intricate fingerpicking, but doing it for so long on simple hammer-ons is not something I've done that much ... another hurdle to overcome. Thanks !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic