Paul McCartney Every Night by MarkM

reiver

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

That sounded great, Mark. I'm trying to work out why this song is so familiar to me....and I haven't a clue. But I sang along anyway! Nice post.

Stuart

MarkM

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Wow!! Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. I'm really taken aback by all of this as, to be honest, I wasn't overly pleased with the performance. Maybe I just listened to it too much. Thanks to each and every one of you. Another week, another hotel. So I've finally got some time to respond to you.

Dennis - Thank you so much!! I'm glad you liked this song. I forgot how much I liked it until a few weeks ago. It's always a pleasure to read your comments. Thanks pal.

Buddy - Thanks for nice comments Bud. It's alway appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Al- Long time no type... Not sure what the CBFU is for though. Thank you so much for your kind comments. Yes the vocal mic is the same. I used a Shure SM57 for the guitar. It gets pretty good reviews and isn't expensive compared to others.

Chris - Thank you Chris!! As always I really enjoy your support. I'm surprised that you weren't familiar with this song. I guess more people than I thought weren't familiar with it. It's just a really good/simple tune that he put together as the Beatles were breaking up. Check out his solo acoustic version of it on YouTube. He still performs this one today.

Ken - Wow Ken that was really nice to say. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Open mic huh??? Well to tell you the truth. Before I left NH and didn't know I was going to move so quickly I had the opportunity to go with Jay to a place that he does the open mic. If I were still up there I would have joined him by now. Now that I moved to a new place in GA I don't know where to find one (Easy enough to find I'm sure) and don't know anybody around yet to feel comfortable. It's a goal for sure and hopefully I can do it this year. Maybe with Pete who is down here as well.

Jay - Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope all is well in NH. I played golf in Chattanooga TN today and it was 85. Wow!!

Pete - Thanks!! Yeah I owe you a call as soon as I get back home. We have to get together in the next few weeks for sure. Maybe the day of the Stills show.

Bob- Thanks my Massachusetts friend. I hope all is well with you. Go Pats is right!!!! Don't talk to me about the chicken chugging sox.....

Jim - Thanks you for the kind words!!! No Falcon's or Braves hat for me. Got my Directv and Sunday ticket so I'm all set. As Bob says...Go Pats!!

Scott - Thank you!! I'm glad the sound came out alright. Yes this song is fun to play once I figured out all the strum patterns.

Jim - Well I'm sure glad this made you remember the original. Just a good solid song McCartney put together here.

Pierre - You give me too much credit. Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm not sure that there is a method to my madness. I'm just mad...........Seriously though, when I look at a strumming song I try and broaden the palet a bit or rather play around with the bass and treble strings to make it sound more that it is.

Craig - Another wow!! Thanks for the nice words. Yes a great song and very underrated album in my opinion.

Willem - Ha! Thanks Willem. I always enjoy your comments. I hope all is well. I'll try and do better on the "oeoeooeeoeo"s next time. They were harder than I thought.

Kevin - Thanks Kevin!!! Very much appreciated. Look above to your question that I answered for Al. I would agree with you on George. For me it was him and John. Altough this particular Paul song was a bit different than his usual ones. The south is GREAT. 85 today while I played golf. No complaints here. Thanks for asking.

RicksPick - Thanks!!! I'm glad you liked it. Comfortable is a state of mind. You should have seen me last week when I was trying this song out.....

Ness - Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Michele - I hope all is well down there. The weather must be starting to get better. Thank you!!

Suzi - Thanks Suzi!! Yes I've been away too much lateley. Not as much time as I had in NH. It's always good to get a new song up here and see all you kind words.

Stuart - Thank you for the kind words!! I'm sure you have heard this song before and that's why its familiar. Thanks for singing along. I'm sure you did a better job of that.

MarkM

Lavallee

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Very nice playing Mark, that guitar of yours sounds rich and powerful. Glad you you decided to put more power to your voice, it is paying off.

Marc

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Ha! Sorry- CBFU is a running joke Craig and I have in the Busking Bread thread, as I think we're the only two to upload there so far.
It stands for Closet Bread Fans Unite.
At least I think that's what it stood for :blink:

tovo

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 am

Hey Mark great job mate. I like your take on the tune. Your Taylor sounds sweet as and I love your strumming. Nice job all round.

MarkM

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Marc - Thanks for the nice comments. I still can't sing a lick but I won't stop trying until my dog decides to leave me.........

Al - Ah so that is what it's all about. I had something more nefarious in mind :laugh: :laugh: .

Tony - As always thank you so much for your comments and support. Hey I played an all Koa Taylor last week and I must say you have a hell of a guitar down there. I was really impressed.

MarkM

rapsidy

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Mark sorry im late i have just got back from a long 3 week bike ride across australia 8500kms. Most of what i listened to was paul mccartney and wings, and i just loved this song and wanted to learn it and this was the first song since i came back on the forum i saw, i was pretty excited. Love the guitar by the way.

My question is how do you do it? I wouldnt have a clue how to strum or play that song and still dont after watching you. How do you do it? do you just listen and pick it up that way? (what a gift) how do you know what strum to use and where do you get the chords from???

you did a great job

I love anything Mccartney as i listened to alot of his stuff over 8500ks :laugh:

thanks

Brad

tovo

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 pm

MarkM wrote:

Tony - As always thank you so much for your comments and support. Hey I played an all Koa Taylor last week and I must say you have a hell of a guitar down there. I was really impressed.

Yeah Mark the Koa is a beautiful wood. When I'm not playing I often just sit and check out the wood. Must be love eh? (Mine has a spruce top but the rest other than a small cocobolo inlay in the back is Koa.

Brad, I tried to ride across Australia once. Got 8400km in and realised I had forgotten my bike pump so I had to turn around and go back for it. Very disappointing. (Seriously now that is quite a ride and a great achievement, well done mate)

MarkM

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Brad,

Thanks for watching. Wow that was quite a bike trip. Congratualations on that!!! How do I do it?? Hmmmm. Mixing the strum patterns? Well this is kind of a two part answer I suppose. First off you have to try and figure out how many beats per minute you want and then go from there. In my case I was somewhere between the original recording and Paul's live solo version. It just felt the most comfortable there. Once I get the beat in my head then I get the right hand moving up and down to keep the cadence going. I looked at several youtube video's of Paul playing it as well as others. There a couple of pretty good ones out there. From there I try and incorporate what I see into how I play it and how it sounds best for me. For instance in the beginning of the song I start out with two down beats (One/And) on the bass strings and then finish up the next few measures focusing on all down strokes hitting all the strings making sure the high strings ring out. From there you'll notice that I then keep the same time but go to an up/down stroke One (down) And (up). This calms things down a bit in the song and creates the groove that I was after. Really just mimicking Paul's acoustic playing for the most part. It's just all ups/downs during the verse. Well at least the first few lines. Then I go into the A/F#m/Bm/F#m (different strum DDUDUDU I think) before landing on a B. Then its just a small bass run. The Chorus I tried to copy Paul's acoustic version or what seemed to feel right. Then did the whole thing over one more time. Not sure if any of this helps. I'm sure Neil can explain what I was doing much better than I can. I guess what I'm really trying to say here is listen to the song and then listen to how others are doing it. From there you'll get a good sense on how you want to play it. Play it along with whatever recording you want to make sure you are in time and then practice until you can do it in your sleep. I hope this helps. Thanks for the kind words and I look forward to seeing your version.

Tony - Yup its love. I'm the same way when it comes to wood. Just like the variations from one guitar to another. Yup now I remember you had the spruce top. I was really impressed with the one I had played and as always you make yours sound wonderful every time you play it.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic