The Beatles Here Comes the Sun (Instrumental) by dsmarion

dsmarion

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Scott, very nicely done, made me grin and feel optimistic. Maybe you'll get a fingerpicking badge in the mail soon to sew onto your TG Scout uniform :side:

I suppose that choosing to do the fingerpicking version (rather than the flatpicking) added a level of difficulty for you. I wonder if it was because you were on a fingerpicking kick already, or did you consciously decide to identify the more challenging of the two and go that way ?

Pierre
Hi Pierre.

Actually it was a challenge from Willem (see the below thread) and I thank him for that since I would have probably chosen the regular version to work on. I am so glad he pushed me to learn this one.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... tg-er.html

Scott

dennisg

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:16 am

Scott,

This was excellent -- one of the best versions of this song I've heard on this site. Your picking looked solid and confident, and your tempo seemed perfect. Congratulations on a great job.

dsmarion

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:47 am

dennisg wrote:
Scott,

This was excellent -- one of the best versions of this song I've heard on this site. Your picking looked solid and confident, and your tempo seemed perfect.
Congratulations on a great job.
Dennis,

Thanks so much for the very nice comments. Of course I notice all kinds of problems with my performance (I won't even start about looking at the hands to much and the head bobbing and weaving like a prize fighter LOL).

To me it is very similar to your 'open mic' thread where you felt like dying when you made a critical mistake along the way knowing surely that everyone noticed as well. Of course they really didn't notice at all but you did and so you were sure everyone else did too. The same is true with my version of this song here, I can easily notice a dozen or more huge mistakes (huge to me at least) where i either hit the wrong bass note, misplayed a melody note or even got totally lost for a second before recovering (seemed like an eternity at the time). Musicians always notice every single mistake in their playing but unless they are really bad ones like hitting something especially nasty and out of key others rarely notice at all. We always notice them though don't we (and cringe). Here's to a never-ending passion about trying to make it sound perfect (I may never achieve that).

Thanks for your very kind words of encouragement.

Scott

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Wow for three weeks work I think you've done exceptionally well, really enjoyable to listen to. Great sound and like Dennis points out great tempo throughout

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:33 pm

dsmarion wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
Scott,

Impressive! How long did it take you to get it this far?
I only know the focused strumming version (so far). :)
Al,

I started working on it the day Willem set the challenge which was three weeks ago. I pretty much did nothing but work on this over that time period.

Scott

P.S. I also want to learn the regular version but have not started on it yet.
That's excellent for three weeks work!! You must have hammered away at it non-stop!!
We all know what it's like to get obsessed with a song. But then the hard work pays off.
Congrats!

dsmarion

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:02 am

AcousticAl wrote:
dsmarion wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
Scott,

Impressive! How long did it take you to get it this far?
I only know the focused strumming version (so far). :)
Al,

I started working on it the day Willem set the challenge which was three weeks ago. I pretty much did nothing but work on this over that time period.

Scott

P.S. I also want to learn the regular version but have not started on it yet.
That's excellent for three weeks work!! You must have hammered away at it non-stop!!
We all know what it's like to get obsessed with a song. But then the hard work pays off.
Congrats!
Yes I think the work really did pay off. You're right, I did hammer away pretty much non-stop (Never Goin Back Again has suffered some in the meantime, that is another one that has me obsessed after watching your super rendition. That one is taking soooooo loooong to get up to any speed, let alone even thinking about trying to sing! I am still in awe of you dude.)

Scott

MarkM

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

Scott,

Very impressive indeed. 3 weeks to get this far on this song is a tribute to your dedication and skill. Congratulations on a job well done. I really enjoyed your performance.

MarkM

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks

dsmarion

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:21 am

MarkM wrote:
Scott,

Very impressive indeed. 3 weeks to get this far on this song is a tribute to your dedication and skill. Congratulations on a job well done. I really enjoyed your performance.

MarkM
Thanks for the very kind words Mark!

Scott

beaker

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 am

Great job DS! good tempo and you are hitting the notes very cleanly. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic