Dan Fogelberg - The Reach by neverfoundthetime

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for listening in folks, this has been a fun song to do.!

Thanks Chas, I knew the verse and chorus were doable for me but I was really chuffed to find I could get the riff down too: Haven't enjoyed myself so much in ages.

Thanks Dennis, it is such a beautiful song and I have loved it for longer than I have owned my guitars and am really chuffed to be able to play it in the original fashion. Truly Fogelbergian! ;-).

Thanks Jason, that's two very kind warm comments from you in 24 hours! I have known this song a long time and I should know it inside out by now... I have to internalise a song to be able to play it well. I did fluff two words... one where I said plough (God knows why!) instead of chow and where I swallowed some saliva on "There's a frost on the sill in the morning" . There was much to pay attention to on the playing side so I let my self off on those little errors. Innocent AGe would be slightly above my register but Nexus or Times Like These are fun to play with the 12.

Good to hear from you Rick! Dan was like a painter with words and melodies, a real artist. As I mentioned, I caught a tutorial from Ray on youtube showing how to play the riff... I'd never have work it out myself... took me 2 days just to understand what I was hearing! Glad to brighten your day ;-).

Thanks Buddy! Yes, this one fits. I'll move over to TV later to work on the vocals some more.

Thanks Suzi... you really need to get some Fogelbergian sound into your life, click on anything from The Innocent age (except run for the roses maybe and Auld Lange Syne !)

Thanks for tuning in Jim! If I manage to bring some of Dan's songs to others, its well worth it as he has left a real legacy.

Thanks Dermot! Definitely my favourite album is The Innocent Age double album but I also really like River of Souls and The Wild Places.

Tony, thanks a lot, really appreciate any manly beautiful comments for sure! The sound of the open D tuning on 12 strings is just amazing but the feel of the vibrations going through my chest as I play is just something else. I think this has already become my favourite song to play. Very kind comments, much appreciated and taken to heart!

willem

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Chris,, i found it just great,,i must put in some work to understand the song but that comes,, i enjoyed it pretty much,,its all in balance your singin and playing thats why i wonder if you must use a plectrum that will make more volume and then you must sing louder i geuss,,don't know if that is good for bringin the song,,

love it a

cheers..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Thank you Willem! The song is about the fishermen (lobster boats) who travel out in the autumn to their fishing grounds beyond the "Reach" (a stretch of open water)on the US east coast (State of Maine). If you pm me with your email I'll send you the lyrics and explain them if it helps.

I think I do need to start with a pick. And you are absolutely right, I don't use a pick so that everything is quieter... but it no longer needs to be, I've found I can let it out... and I don't have to be so self-conscious about it.

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Chris,

Perfect balance of guitar to singing. I actually don't think a pick would make it better- and I am impressed how you can fingerpick those runs on a 12.

michelew

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Chris,

That was truely beautiful. Your hard works has already paid off.

Don't camera nerves just suck. I'm sure you play it even better when the camera is off and you're relaxing into it. I'd love to see and hear that.

Beautiful.

Shel

dsmarion

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Chris,

Very nice! I am not really a DF fan but I do hear this song a lot on The Bridge on Sirius-XM radio (channel 34). Your rendition sounds great, nice work on picking on the 12-string!

Scott

jimbo58

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:03 am

Thank you Chris I enjoyed that very much as I could see you enjoyed playing it, well done ... Dan fogelberg what a great songwriter, may he rest in peace (1951 - 2007)

Jim

pbraun

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:35 am

Chris,
Wow haven't heard that in a long time. What a great job on it. It fits your voice so well. Think I will go back and listen again!
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks Al, and thanks again for the advice on videoing... nice to have a pro in the house!

Thanks Shel, yes, I'm better off camera when there is no pressure... but you have to step up to the plate too (just don't be too critical of yourself!).

Thanks Scott! Sounds like a good radio station!

Thanks Jim, Dan is one of the very best singer song writers I know. I hope folks here take time to check out The Innocent Age, The Wild Places and River of Souls.

Thanks Pete!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic