Dan Fogelberg - The Reach by neverfoundthetime

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Recording problems beset me here and every time I turned the camera on, I couldn't play the riff! Camera off no problem at all. So this was the best I could do for now but its ok for me as back home I am playing this many times a day an enjoying the hell out of such a beautiful song. I know I'm a little fast when I change to the riff and the change is difficult as I'm using my fingers... maybe I should go for the never-used-one-yet plectrum. I know this song will grow with me and I will be happy for any feedback Neil can give me. Thanks for listening in folks.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Well played my friend I knew it was within your reach. I agree maybe need to use the plectrum for the riff so it comes across clearer and hear those hammer ons and pull offs. Very enjoyable.

dennisg

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Man, that's a beautiful song, Chris! Very Fogelbergian. Whatever part of the musical bridge you fluffed, I couldn't spot it. But I know how that goes. Anyway, I thought you did a wonderful job on this.

And, yes, this song could be played with a flat pick. You'd likely get a bigger and cleaner sound out of your strings. I wasn't at all used to using a flat pick until about a year ago. Now I love playing with it. Not suggesting you abandon fingerstyle playing, but it's good to expand your talents.

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Chris:

That was just plain beautiful my friend. I think that may be my favorite cover that you have done to date....... B) Of course, me being a big Fogelberg fan would have nothing to do with that...... ;)

Your 12-string really sounded quite lovely on this tune. I am always amazed at your knack for playing and committing a song to memory (either that or you have a very ingenious way of hiding the music out of site.... :) )

That 12-string would really sound good on "Innocent Age" as well...... just sayin'........

Thanks for sharing this one, and glad the you got your video sorted out.

MJ

BigBear

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Chris- Just fantastic on my all time favorite D.F. song. I've played it for years but never worked out the intro like you did. Plus I don't sing well enough to do it justice, but you did. Now you've got me motivated!

Well done my friend! Thanks for sharing. You made my day. I really miss old Dan don't you? His music and lyrics were so heartfelt.

Cheers! :cheer:

buddy

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Wow Chris, This is just a fantastic version of this tune. This song just fits you like a glove and your feeling and love of this tune really comes through in this tune. Thanks for putting this up it made my day.

Bud

suziko

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Beautiful, Chris! I'd never heard this song before but I loved how you played it. Great playing and really nice job on the vocals. I can tell you have a lot of love for this song! It really comes through in your performance.

Suzi

jimcjimc

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:05 pm

I guess I haven't been a big Dan Fogelberg fan - I had never heard that song. But I enjoyed your video a lot. Good playing and singing - thanks for sharing!

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks

tovo

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Simply wonderful. It's hard to say for sure because you have given so many great performances, but I doubt that I have enjoyed any more than I enjoyed that. I think that because you unashamedly admit that you play so that you can sing, there is a tendency to focus on your terrific voice and not give your playing the kudos it deserves. You played that so very, very well Chris and I thought the riff was just fine. Better than fine. If there were any timing or tempo issues they did not detract one ounce from your overall performance which was beautiful (In a manly way of course!!!!).

Definitely one for the "TG album" (which I reckon is a great idea...whoever had it, I can't recall).

Brilliant Chris. Well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic