buddy learning GIVE ME ONE REASON guitar lesson

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:51 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice work on the bass notes and damping Buddy. All barre chords would make my fingers tired but you keep it even all the way through. Tracey Chapman is a nice fit for your voice... I was wondering what happens if you capo at 1 or 2?
Nice job!
Chris, as you said, a few hand cramps learning this tune :cheer: I tried to capo this up but it really lost that blues feel so I kept it on the down low. I might try tuning down a full step and singing it up one octave. Thanks for the suggestion.

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
buddy wrote:

Having a little fun with the blues today. I will eventually add some lead guitar to this tune. Let me know what you think and what would help move it along.

Bud

Very cool Buddy, some light drums supporting would improve this for me, but excellent performance, vocals great. I enjoyed this a lot. :)

Tom N.
Tom, yep it is hard to fill in all that the original has. I am going to play this at a gig Saturday with a lead guitar and harmonica players so this should be very fun.

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:54 pm

dekotaj wrote:
Hey Bud,

Great job.Don't ya just love setting around jamming?(in your case standing).Keep on jamming and posting.

BRAVO!!
Kev
Kev, yes that blues just wants to go on forever when you are playing it. B)

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:55 pm

MarkM, Thanks for the suggestions and I will play around with those ideas. really glad you enjoyed this.

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Scott, Thanks a bunch for the comments and suggestions. It took some practice to get the rhythm and the feel of this song with the right hand. Their is a lot going on in the right hand but as you said, that is hard to see in the video.

buddy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Hey Buddy,

I watched this again and have two more questions.

1. There is a blue thing on the headstock. I am guessing that it is a Snark tuner, but it looks like it's clipped on so the display is to the back side. If my hunch is correct, and this is true . . . . why is it attached like this and not the other way around (facing the front)?

2. I noticed that you were wearing ear buds for monitoring rather than headphones, and at the very end, it looked like the right one fell out. Would you care to comment on the use of the ear buds over headphones? Bassman Jerry and I are looking at migrating to ear buds and are looking for pros and cons of others experiences.

Thanks,
Hydroman52
In answer to your questions;

1 - I prefer the snark facing the back as I find it easier to see the display this way and it is not in the way as much as when it is clipped on the front.

2 - I just got the ear buds so I am still getting used to them. I do like them so far as they are so less bulky than the headphones. I am finding that I get better sound quality out of them as well. I did lose one at the end of the video because I caught the chord on the guitar strap and pulled it out of my ear.

Hope this is informative,

Bud

dennisg

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:17 am

Very nice guitar work in this song, Buddy. I appreciate the difficulty of its syncopation with your voice.

buddy

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks Dennis, I played this at a local coffee shop tonight and had a lot fun with it.

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:48 am

Buddy,

Great picking- and a workout for sure!

I agree with Mark's comments about switching it up somehow halfway through or close to the end. If you don't want to do a full strum, then maybe change your staccato picking to letting the notes ring longer for a bit? I think Chapman did that a few times in the original if I remember correctly.

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 am

I tried playing this and am even more impressed now, Buddy!

Very tough syncopated rhythm to get right- especially when singing.

Well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic