George Harrison Any Road by MarkM

MarkM

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

I tried to get this into the busking channel but kept getting kicked out.

Any Road came off of George Harrison's last album "Brainwashed". I believe it was actually released not too long after his death. This particular song, in my opinion, is just one of his all time best. Great simple song with a great simple message that I TRY to live by when things are getting out of hand. Anyway I hadn't heard it for a while and when I visited with Pete a few weeks ago he dug up George's solo acousitc version that was actually his last live performance on VH1 back around 1998 I think. Anyway it was the first time he played it and it's on Youtube for you to check out. My playing on this is pretty sloppy but I wasn't using a pick. Couldn't get the sound I was after with a pick so my fingers had to do the job. As you can see there are a ton of words in this song and I hadn't commited them to memory yet so I'm cheating with a few sheets of paper in front of me. I really had a good time trying to figure this song out. I'm sure it will get better with time but here it is now after a couple of days. Thanks for watching and as always I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

skaladar

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Well to my ears it wasn't sloppy at all :dry: .......I think you sounded really great, singing, playing, soundquality, everything. I don't know the original, but I very much enjoyed this song by yóu! ;)

Thanks Mark, very well done! :)

Ness

jayswett

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Very nice, Mark. I think this is one of your best videos. That Atlanta atmosphere must be agreeing with you.

BobR

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi Mark,

That Georgia air must be real good for playing. I don't know the original either but I thought you did a super job on it. Not sloppy at all. Playing and Singing was really, really good. As a mater of fact you could do this at an open mic. Do you have any effects on or is it just that good?

Nice to see you

Bob

MarkM

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks All.

Ness - Thanks a bunch!! I glad you liked it.

Jay - Thank you sir. Yup loving every minute down here.

Bob - I don't know if the Geordia air is good for playing but I'm not freezing my butt off now. I put a tiny bit of reverb on the vocals thats it. Guitar is strait to the mic.

Since many are unfamiliar with the song here are a couple of links.

First one is the Album version

This one was taken from Georges last TV performance. Obvioiusly something he was still working on.

dennisg

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I don't know the sing either, but I sure enjoyed hearing you do it. I think this is, by far, your strongest singing performance to date -- you did a really good job staying on key. Congratulations.

jim56

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey Mark

Good job on your performance and thanks for the links to the originals.

Jim

Craig

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Mark,
Nice work! Thanks for introducing me to a very cool tune. I thought you were solid (especially after listening to George's acoustic version). Your vocals improve with each post. Way to go.
Craig

tombo1230

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice job Mark, I'm a big fan of George Harrisons work and this is a favourite of mine.

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to listen to the original on my way to work tomorrow.

Tom N.

lueders

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Very, Very Nice Markus!!

I thought your voice sounded like a million buck-os!! (adjusted for inflation) :) :) :)
Nice, full and resonant...sounding. I feel as though I am in a unique position to compliment you on your vocals because I am such a damn fine singer myself. LOL! ;) :laugh:
Aside from how nice and resonant your voice was I was just plain struck by, what I thought was a quality overall performance on a really cool slightly quirky tune. You have a way of doing that it seems. You put up these songs and do a good job on 'em and & it often reminds me of how great the song is...then I want to start noodling with the tune myself. (That has happened quite a bit with many of your posts.)
Playing-wiseI agree with vanessa, I saw/heard no slop! I defer to her expertise.

Nice solid job, Ace! Good work!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic