schm040 learning to play Embryonic Journey acoustic guitar

schm040

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

mbleier

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow,
How is this video a month old and no one has replied to this. You seem like you are well on your way on this one. I wish I had some good advice for you, but this song is definitely well over my head. I had fun watching you, and it just seems like with more time it will smooth out more. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

AndyT

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Obviously it was a bit on the bright side. LOL

It seemed to me that you were having a bit of a timing issue when you change from alternate picking to the 3 or 4 downstrums and then back. Its not quite smooth yet. Perhaps because you were strumming from the elbow instead of the wrist? Sounding really good so far. Can't wait to see your update on this one.

lueders

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 am

First off, Matt I thought that is coming along QUITE nicely!!
Secondly, I am with Mike, how the world did no one comment on this? I for one, feel like I owe you a sincere, apology man. I'm not sure how this one slipped through the cracks. (seems very un -TG like)I'm not sure I remember seeing it... But at any rate, I wish I had. You did a yeoman' s job on a Jorma song for land's sake! Plus, you're a nice fella and you certainly deserve feedback! So for what little it is worth... I am quite sorry for not getting to it the first time around, man! Really, nice work! You have a lot of natural mechanics at fingerpicking for sure!

P. S. Thanks mike for recycling this & bringing it to all of our attention. That is quite an oversight.

willem

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:51 am

Sorry,,,i find it very impressive,,must be a lot practice hours and that shows...

You got a lot light in your vid,, why????

W. :blush:

schm040

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:15 am

Hey TG friends,

At first I was sort of glad no-one commented on the upload because after looking at it again it felt really rushed and I only posted the last 2/3 of the song and skipped the beginning. So, no worries about the lack of comments really, I wanted to put some more time into it and post a better version.

This is what happens when you try to play a level 8 song and don't use a metronome to practice, and for sure you aren't feeling like a level 8 player that day.... maybe level 4 :)

As for the timing issue, I think I know what you are saying Andy, in that part I was trying to strum the melody in that measure instead of straight fingers and it does seem off perhaps, will look at it again. I actually missed a few beats all over the place. I should try this much slower and listen to Jorma's versions again.

Thanks again.

Matt

tombo1230

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 am

schm040 wrote:
Hey TG friends,

At first I was sort of glad no-one commented on the upload because after looking at it again it felt really rushed and I only posted the last 2/3 of the song and skipped the beginning. So, no worries about the lack of comments really, I wanted to put some more time into it and post a better version.

This is what happens when you try to play a level 8 song and don't use a metronome to practice, and for sure you aren't feeling like a level 8 player that day.... maybe level 4 :)

As for the timing issue, I think I know what you are saying Andy, in that part I was trying to strum the melody in that measure instead of straight fingers and it does seem off perhaps, will look at it again. I actually missed a few beats all over the place. I should try this much slower and listen to Jorma's versions again.

Thanks again.

Matt
Hi Matt,
you have done well to get this far on this tune. It is one of those really difficult tunes, level 9 I believe, that needs to be spot on in it's timing or it just doesn't sound musical. I would suggest maybe playing along with Neil on the playthrough or on the slowdown playthrough if it exists and work a little on the timing and try to clean it up a bit, then work it to full speed. In my opinion that is the way forward. It is a great tune and when you nail it you will have an impressive tune at your finger tips.

Good luck!

Tom N.

dennisg

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Matt,

I remember this song from long, long ago. You did a very impressive job with it, and the only thing I can suggest is to consider slowing it down a bit so that you can get through the parts that are giving you a bit of trouble. When you feel you've got it licked, then you can always pick up the tempo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic