chord solo aint no sunshine by willem

willem

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 am

Well it is just the beginning from the solo but i can't make that pulloff how hard i try,,so i tryed without,,my question and thats why i uploaded this is,,is there a solution?? just leave the pulloff and pick the A note and then the slide back/hammeron and so on..

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

wiley

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am

willem

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:35 am

wiley wrote:
Willem,

I give this a shot. A "pull off' is when you actually pull not only 'off' but down at the same time, the finger pulling on the string actually 'sounds' the string AS you pull off. Hard to do at first since we spend so much time learning how NOT to do such.

As for if you really need it in there, I think along the lines of this;

Videos and lessons like this one in particular, Neil shows, and explains, some new tricky little move(s). In this particular case, it's a combination of things, like the slide-in, move up and over, then a double bend (the bend should actually be heard going in, then out) followed by a pull off and hammer on. All within one 'hit' on the one string.

It's hard enough to do on an electric where the strings are smaller (therefore easier to bend), closer to the fretboard (Lower action) and the sustain is of no real concern. On an acoustic, we have to work really hard to get not only the movements done but we must also get them in before our 'sustain' dies.

We then need to address the fact a lot of this particular piece is 'staccato' (meaning the notes do NOT ring for the full count, kind of a 'bouncy' sound is wanted).'

Either way around, I have always heard Neil explain the idea is to make us THINK (not that you don't) and shows us how he does certain things and then leaves it up to us to either use his idea or add to/take away from that and come up with our own. It's really one of the reasons I hang around this site, Neil says "Here's what I do, use it or don't, but you can add it into your tool box"

So, in answer to your question of "Do I have to.....", I think Neil would answer "Nope - just throwing it out there at ya'"

Thank you Wiley,,,i think this pulloff is difficult 'cos of we have the three fingers for the bend on that string and when you want to pulloff you have to move two fingers for that action. i just start the instrumental when it came out and i find it such a pity that just one movement you can't do(maybe at first)and then maybe must lay it a side and wait till it can..(I)

mark

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:44 pm

willem wrote:
wiley wrote:
Willem,

I give this a shot. A "pull off' is when you actually pull not only 'off' but down at the same time, the finger pulling on the string actually 'sounds' the string AS you pull off. Hard to do at first since we spend so much time learning how NOT to do such.

As for if you really need it in there, I think along the lines of this;

Videos and lessons like this one in particular, Neil shows, and explains, some new tricky little move(s). In this particular case, it's a combination of things, like the slide-in, move up and over, then a double bend (the bend should actually be heard going in, then out) followed by a pull off and hammer on. All within one 'hit' on the one string.

It's hard enough to do on an electric where the strings are smaller (therefore easier to bend), closer to the fretboard (Lower action) and the sustain is of no real concern. On an acoustic, we have to work really hard to get not only the movements done but we must also get them in before our 'sustain' dies.

We then need to address the fact a lot of this particular piece is 'staccato' (meaning the notes do NOT ring for the full count, kind of a 'bouncy' sound is wanted).'

Either way around, I have always heard Neil explain the idea is to make us THINK (not that you don't) and shows us how he does certain things and then leaves it up to us to either use his idea or add to/take away from that and come up with our own. It's really one of the reasons I hang around this site, Neil says "Here's what I do, use it or don't, but you can add it into your tool box"

So, in answer to your question of "Do I have to.....", I think Neil would answer "Nope - just throwing it out there at ya'"

Thank you Wiley,,,i think this pulloff is difficult 'cos of we have the three fingers for the bend on that string and when you want to pulloff you have to move two fingers for that action. i just start the instrumental when it came out and i find it such a pity that just one movement you can't do(maybe at first)and then maybe must lay it a side and wait till it can..(I)

Hi Willem
You don't need to give up on this song because you can't do the pull off.
If you really can't do it now, learn the song with out it.
Then in the future try it again with the pull off and I bet you can do it easily

willem

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 pm

@ Mark..,i don't give up on it Mark but thank you....are you on it?? i geuss you do and looking forward to your upload when your ready..

willem

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:05 am

I must make a litlle exuse,,when i was adding the lesson i did not seen the play along yet till now,,there were great tips in for me how to work on the instrumental..

I think i will work on the BW one too for the fun and not getting frustrated..

Thanks Willem

dtaylor

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Willem,
I found the same difficulty. What worked for me was isolating the move and practicing the bend up/down/ pull-off on its own.

Also it makes a big difference when I do the pull-off to take my middle finger off the string a split second before the pull-off. This way just your ring finger does the pull off and there's no chance of the middle finger killing the note as it's pulled-off.

Hope that's clear and it helps.

Dean

willem

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:43 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Hi Willem,
I found the same difficulty. What worked for me was isolating the move and practicing the bend up/down/ pull-off on its own.

Also it makes a big difference when I do the pull-off to take my middle finger off the string a split second before the pull-off. This way just your ring finger does the pull off and there's no chance of the middle finger killing the note as it's pulled-off.

Hope that's clear and it helps.

Dean

Dean thank you,,glad you on it looking forward to your upload when your ready..your advice is exactly what i try also (take away the middle finger) and practice only that part,,,i also like the jam idea so i think i have a lot of fun learning something,,

Willem

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 pm

It sounds like you've got some good advice here, including sounding the 'pull off' by pulling towards the floor and to incorporate the techniques as you are able to. I haven't tried this piece, but it sounds like good advice to me.

Good luck.

willem

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:00 pm

michelew wrote:
It sounds like you've got some good advice here, including sounding the 'pull off' by pulling towards the floor and to incorporate the techniques as you are able to. I haven't tried this piece, but it sounds like good advice to me.

Good luck.

Hi Michele,,meet again,,its a great song,,,i know how to pull off(don't have funny ideas) but you must try that,,first bending that string with the three fingers and then pull off,,and not to mension what happens after that,, i know the melody there it is a lot simpler but no so impressive.. really i know you have a new child but please try it..

i want for christmas an pull off finger..if it were only for that action...

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic