The Beatles Blackbird by MarkM

Craig

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 am

Nice job Mark! I thought you nailed it and as Al mentioned, your guitar sounds great. Good effort here.
Craig

willem

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:22 am

SUPER Mark,,very nice,,now when you play it maybe as an warmup you could try the thumb exercise,,,You sang it a bit low but that can make it your version..I think the melody starts on the G note(open third string),,hitting that before you start of and getting that pitch in your head can help for staying around the melody,,that said I must try it again..

Just a great song to know..thank you
Willem

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 am

Well well well done Mark, that sounded really nice, consistent, smooth and so on, really a great job!

Ness

Edit: how long have you been working on this?

schm040

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 am

Mark,

Coming from someone (me) who always messes up the songs arrangement, I thought you put the Blackbird puzzle together very nicely. As others have said, you can make it more interesting by lightly brushing the strings occasionally to get that McCartney sound if you choose.

I loved it.

Matt

suziko

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 am

Hey Mark! Nice to see a post from you again! I think this sounds really good, really smooth transitions between those chords and nice slide to the 12th. This is a great song to have in your repertoire!

Suzi

MarkM

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

Bob - Thanks Bob!! Sorry I didn't know the song when you folks did the collaboration and I was travelling quite a bit back then. I wear the hat with pride. Just not sure how much longer this team will be in the mix. The D is aweful.............

Pierre - Not to worry. I always love your comments. Yeah the singing on this one was much more difficult than I had imagined it would be. I guess I'm in the same boat as you regarding the thumb on the G string. To be honest I didn't pick up on this in Neil's lesson (Sorry Neil) I must have been more focused on what my left hand was supposed to be doing and thinking of this more in the traditional "Travis" style. I don't know. I did watch alot of McCarntey doing this on Youtube and just figured that is where my index finger was supposed to be doing. Neil's way, Paul's way... I don't know I guess I mistakenly did it my way on this one. Now if I could just get my index finger to strum it I'll be all set.

Thereshopeyet - Thanks!! What mystery. Well I've always loved this "sound" of this song. Very cools note combinations up and down the fretboard. I remember years ago trying to figure it out on my own and never quite got it right. So now that I know the notes the mystery is gone.

Cori - Thank you!! To be honest I always thought it was a very tricky song as I could never really figure it out. However after countless run throughs it wasn't nearly as difficult as I has thought. Funny how things end up that way.

Tom - Ha! Sorry I just didn't know how to play this song when you were doing the project. I need to now learn that "brush" stroke technique to get it sounding more like the original. Thanks for the kind words.

Scott - Thank you!! Yeah I could play or listen to this song and never get sick of it. I'll try that melody note techique out. Problem with me is that I have a terrible musical ear pertaining to pitch. Maybe I need to pay more attention to TotallyVocals. I know I could use some work over there.

Buddy - That's very nice of you to say Bud. Thanks for always showing your support. Its greatly appreciated.

Al - Thanks for the kind words!! I'll check that URL out and see what I had missed.

Chris - As always Chris, thank you very much!! Mr. World traveler.

Craig - Thanks Craig!! I hope all is well with you. I think you and Al have turned me on to Bread as I'm trying to learn "IF" now. I forgot how much I liked that song.

Willem - Thank you as always!! I'll try that tip out. Yeah I sang it a bit low. If I try to sing like Paul on this song I'll pop a vocal chord or something worse :laugh: :laugh:

Ness - Happy New Year!!! Thank you! I can't wait to see more CNSY from you in the future. What will you surprise us with next.

Matt - Thanks!! Yup the next step is to try and get that brush stroke going. I hope it doesn't melt my brain when I try. I really need to learn that techniquer because I really would like to learn "Mother Nature's Son" which is all about that brushstroke.

Suzi - Thank you so much. I can always count on you checking out my reviews. Stay warm up there in the great white north!!

dennisg

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am

Mark,

I've come to think of you as a human metronome -- your sense of rhythm is that perfect. The guitar work is darned near flawless in this song, as is usually the case with your videos. I wanted to mention that your guitar sounds gorgeous, but wait'll you play this on your new 12-fret Taylor; you won't believe the tone you'll get out of that thing.

thereshopeyet

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks

tovo

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Mark,

Agree with Dennis, your timing is metronome-like. You have that wonderful talent for looking quite effortless when you play which makes you very compelling to watch. I find you to be so anyway...even though I am almost 100% hetro. (There's a touch of the unknown in all of us....that's what MJ tells me anyway).

Tough song to sing. I like that you had a shot and I also like that you didn't try to copy the original.

Nice work.

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:30 am

I have nothing to add to what's already been said except, Very well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic