buddy HONKY TONK WOMEN guitar lesson review upload

buddy

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I took some of the tips form Neil's lesson and put together this rendition of Honky Tonk Women. I tried to put this together so that it could be played solo or in a group. I played this on the Seagull entourage mini jumbo with my new Seymour Duncan woody sound-hole pick-up. I just got this pick-up and so I really want to see what it sounded like when I recorded with it. I really like this Seagull cedar top guitar as it adds a lot of twang to the music mix.

Let me know what you think,

Bud

tovo

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Buddy I like that you have had a crack at making that tune your own. There's a lot going on there and you have it all pretty much under control it seems.

I though the timing seemed a bit inconsistent throughout. Not surprising I suppose with all that is happening, but that was my observation.

Cheers,

Tony

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi Buddy, I thought the Seagull sounded great and I like the way you are approaching this stomper of a song... voice just great.
Maybe lay down a basic strumming track first and play this version over it to help the timing. Maybe slightly slower, let it sit a bit. Fun version of a great song.

suziko

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey Buddy,

That was a really fun video! I've always liked that song and I like the energy you put into it. I also thought the intro sounded great!! And, as always, your singing is really pleasant to listen to.

Suzi

BobR

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Buddy,

You've got some great sound coming out of that Seagull. Your posts are always fun to listen to.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

michelew

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:41 am

Hey Bud,

Loved the 'oooooh'! :cheer: and I actually also liked seeing the normal background again and you towárds the camera!

It's indeed a song with energy (although it can be different energy's, depends on how you play it), and you perform it with a kinda swing-feel and upbeat tempo, wich in my opinion will fit an open-mic very well (I assume you're planning on doing that some more?).

And it's great that you put it all together, and it's indeed like Tony says, the timing needs more work. Especially the intro, it's such a catchy and recognizable intro, so you really want to have thát down spót on, you can't afford not to, it'll be for example a bit confusing for people if they clap along ;). At least that's how I feel about it.

Keep up the work and you'll be fine! :)

Ness

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Hey Buddy,,I really like to see you rockin,,man,,man I almost think this is a must learn song...

Hope you don't gonna dance like Jagger,,this was just fine,,

You know now where to work on has others mentiond

Willem......still amazed !

MarkM

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Bud,

GREAT song choice!! First off the sound you got with your new pick up is coming through very good. I agree, its great to see you back inside with some light. Geez I can't remember the last time you played sitting down. :laugh: :laugh:

You are so close on this song. Just a few minor tweaks with the timing. I'll have to go back and check to see if you were stomping your foot. If you didn't that may be a nice trick to keep it all tidy. I like the way you used a bit of swing time as well. Certainly a bit different. The great thing about this song is that once you get the beginning knocked out you've got the listener hooked and you can play the rest of the song in any style you want.

Good job Bud. I look forward to seeing what else you do with this song.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

GREAT buddy!

Love that bluesy style of playing.
Is that a new guitar to the herd?? Real nice.

Also nice that you're no longer the man in black- literally.

lueders

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey Buddy, I like what you're doing on this arrangement-wise, for sure. Those wicked bends the way Keifer does 'em and having to tune to open G for one song usually keeps me form getting very far with it...and this sort of motivate me to try it more your way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic