buddy learning ANTS MARCHING guitar lesson

buddy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I have been working on and off on this song for a while and posted a early version a while back. This song is really tough for me to sing and play at the same time because it has such a syncopated rhythm to it. I would like to play this out in the near future so let me know what you think,

Bud

buddy

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Any thoughts on the Cajon track in the song, To much to little ?

AndyT

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:11 am

Buddy,

I do not know the original so I have nothing to compare to.
But it sounded a bit disjointed to me. The rhythm seemed to be forced and not flowing smoothly.

This was not the ant song I was thinking about either. LOL

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

buddy wrote:
Any thoughts on the Cajon track in the song, To much to little ?
Hi buddy,

If by "Cajon track" you mean a light percussion that I think I do hear ... it is very light and not that noticeable (I listened using earbuds).
However I don't have the impression that just raising the volume on it would add much to the song, because there is so much percussion in the guitar attack.
Maybe using a more intricate rhythm for the percussion would create a greater number of audible beats apart from the louder guitar strums, with little or no increase in volume.
Could that be a interesting approach ?

Pretty challenging song ... you're getting there !

Pierre

lueders

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 am

Buddy, you took on a tough one here and you've got it coming along pretty well. I give you high praise for taking on this tricky beast. I think the more syncopated parts during the chorus ("under the table & dreaming...take these chances...") when you're up in first & second position territory are sounding nice and accurate. And you're dampening in that part there with a nice staccato effect.

I don't know if really I know what you mean by the cajon thing-ima- bob. Sorry, I'm no help there.
I found a drum track of the tune on youtube I thought maybe you could play over that but alas, the drummer played along with the cd and you don't want that I am guessing.

I do think it sounds rushed a bit on the base notes lead-in/hammer-on part of: C#-D-F#...C#-D-F#-D. (I think?) You might try leaning on that last open note just a tad bit more before you stab the D and G chords. i realize at the clip this song moves along that is easier said than done! I dunno, just my 2 cents worth.

If you like to tinker with music programs and you wanted to try layering over yourself I found this site that has stuff tabbed out like the horns and even some of Tim Reynolds virtuoso lead stuff. I'm sure I couldn't do it but maybe some of it might be useful.

A good effort on this.

Cori

rapsidy

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 am

hi bud

you have really broadened your horizons with this one i have never heard song but im interested now.. seemed very tough to play and sing but it sounded fine i think you did a really good job not that i can compare it to anything but from a listening stand point it was fine, quirky song, but i like some quirky songs ;)

Brad

buddy

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 pm

AndyT wrote:
Buddy,

I do not know the original so I have nothing to compare to.
But it sounded a bit disjointed to me. The rhythm seemed to be forced and not flowing smoothly.

This was not the ant song I was thinking about either. LOL
Andy, Thanks for listening and the input as well. The rhythm is supposed to be a little disjointed in this tune as it is played in a funk style. Maybe I am being double disjointed in this song. :laugh:

jayswett

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 am

I thought that was really well done given the nature of the original song. I can easily see why you have a hard time singing and playing. I liked this almost as much as your Gravedigger video. You should be proud of this performance.

buddy

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Pierre, Great ideas and thanks much for them !!!

buddy

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Cori, Thanks for all the great input and the tip on that site. It has some cool things on it.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic