beatles blackbird by rapsidy

rapsidy

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am

Hi folks

I think this song is a right of passage for beginner TG ers its not a huge favorite of mine to be honest i didn't like it, but as a lot of songs do it grows on you. I must admit though it is a fun song to
learn.

I know there are heaps of mistakes, it was an impromptu recording the dogs were just about to play chasey so i was hoping they would just behave for two minutes, hence my darting eyes of paranoia
I'm not sure I have played the right sequence of the song or tempo, i was just more focused on improving my moving of fingers up and down the fret board etc...

any help or advice welcome

Brad B)

willem

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 am

Hi Brad,,well you did fine,,just keep playing it and it will grow more on you,,

Nothing wrong with playing the quick pickin with your two fingers,,but maybe try it also with the alternate thumb which Neil suggest or teach..

cheers

Willem

buddy

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Brad, This is coming along very well. Nice to see you outside in the vid.

Bud

lueders

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:29 pm

The Brad-man doing a little Blackbird. That is sounding like it is definitely on the way. I have never attempted the Blackbird, so if it is a rite of passage had better get on it! Plus, I doubt I can be of much help...other than to say it looks like you are navigating that fretboard no prob. :) :) Must be an art unto itself in a song like this with so much ridiculous lateral movement and large distance to travel between chord/partial chord shapes. Yes, looks like a tricky beast indeed! I think you should be proud!

Thanks for posting this & great to see you again!!

Cori

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Brad, good to see you posting ...
I'd suggest the same as Willem, that is, the thumb technique Neil suggests: it's a head start on a lot of alternating bass note tunes.
You are 80% there, but you have probably heard of the rule about the last 20% being the most intense ... have no fear, you can do it.
Looking forward to an update !

Pierre

abiliog

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Brad,
You're on your way to manage Blackbird which is really a fun song to play.
Now it's time to put your right thumb back to work :) and you will master the song completely.
Great work so far, and looking forward to an update.
Abilio

dsmarion

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 am

Hey Brad,

Nice to see you working on this - and being able to do it outside even! Very nice!

This is one of the first fingerpicking songs I learned after coming to TG and I concur with others who have recommended going to the alternating thumb for the bass notes. This gives a nice clean sound to the song and also helps you move forward with other travis-style picking songs. I highly recommend doing that even though it means going back to the drawing board to an extent. But it looks like you have the fingering of the chords and movement up and down the neck under pretty good control so it won't be all that hard to change over I don't think - and well worth the effort IMHO.

Scott

jayswett

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:50 am

You are right about this being a right of passage for finger picker types. I enjoyed your version. Maybe emphasize the base notes a bit more?

suziko

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 am

Brad,

That's coming along really nicely! If you want to work on getting it smoother, just try slowing it way down so that you can really get those transitions nailed. I agree with you- this is a very fun song to play (and, like you, it's not even a personal favorite of mine!).

Suzi

dekotaj

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 am

Are you the same Brad that a year and a half ago was killing him self trying to play campfire songs.And now finger picking Beatles tunes(That was a band you never heard of to you got here right.) If you can come that far in that time,Cant wait to here you play a year from now!!Great job! BRAVO!!

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic