Mason Williams Classical Gas by Craig

Craig

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

suziko

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Craig,

Wow, great job! I know that you have mentioned that learning this song was a real goal of yours, so you must be very proud of yourself! This sounds really good. Seems like all that's left is just getting more comfortable with it so that you can play it faster. But I like that you took the tempo down a bit and got something more consistent and clean.

Give yourself a past on the back! :)

Suzi

lueders

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Good Golly, that is really something to be proud of! :woohoo:
Aim High, ain't just a slogan for the U.S. Air Force...what is that like a level nine? That is really,really coming along!
You're so, gonna have that conquered thoroughly in no-time! Great Job, Craig! I salute you!

Cori

BobR

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Craig,

Very, very nicely done. I second Suzi and Cori's comments . You should be very proud of this.

Bob

jayswett

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 pm

That was great, Craig. Congratulations on making such progress as a guitar player. Frankly, I am amazed at how good that performance was, and I mean that absolutely as a compliment.

buddy

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Craig, Wow, kudos and pizza points for taking on this tune. You are on the verge of greatness as you have all the parts together on this. I can't wait to see Neil's review of this one.

Bud

coomba

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am

I'll drink to that ! Craig
Anyone who can tackle that tune is in a class of there own.
It also makes me realize how far I have to go, watching your effort is very inspiring.
Well done
Cheers
Scott

Craig

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:23 am

Suzi, Thank you. I need to learn songs at a slower tempo, then speed up when I get it a little cleaner... this one however, may take a long time before I can speed up. I think this might be a lifetime project! :laugh:

Cori, Yes, level 9's are probably over my head a little but this is one of the songs on my "someday I'm going to learn that song" list. Thanks for the support.

Bob, Thank you for your kind words, as always.

Jay, Taken as a compliment! That means a lot to me coming from a player like yourself.

Buddy, I appreciate your positive comments. I have the parts down, now I just have to play it about a million more times! If I could sing like you I wouldn't have to keep picking instrumentals! :laugh:

Scott, Thank you for watching. I'm glad that I could inspire you to play guitar, drink...or both! :lol:

dtaylor

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 am

Well done Craig, I know the work that's needed to get this so clean, you've reached the Holy Grail of acoustic guitar in my book!
There's one thing that needs looking at, the descending barre chord section that starts on the last beat of measure 3 of the coda for instance, it should be a steady flow of 8th notes all the way, You're pausing on beat two of measure 4 and at the same point on each barre. That's a complicated way of saying check the coda again.
I'd go back to the play along and isolate that section till the rhythm is cemented.
Apart from that I can't fault it.
Dean

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:37 am

Wow, way to go Craig! That is a very solid piece of progress on a monster of a tune. You didn't just post a part of the song (which would have been impressive enough), you posted the entire skeleton with a whole lot of meat on the bones too. Its all there and nicely slowed down to a manageable speed. I think you deserve a medal not only for the having the courage to tackle this but for all the conscientious way you have set about getting it done. You are way above base-camp on this and I'm looking forward to Neil's response which I can imagine he's going to jump to with great joy! Really impressive work!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic