Mason Williams Classical Gas by Craig

dennisg

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Fantastic, Craig! There's no greater feeling than to identify a song you want to conquer, then going out and doing it. I'm impressed, amazed. and envious of your wonderful work on this monster of a song. You should be hugely proud of yourself, knowing that you're about 95 percent there, with only a bit of refining left to do.

Craig

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Kevin, Thanks for the encouragement. It goes a long way for me towards my confidence! Much appreciated.

Dennis, I hope you know how much I think of you and respect you, so any positive feedback from you is a big thing to me. Thank you very much. Now I'm afraid that last 5% will take twice as long as the first 95% did!

MJ, Thanks again. I guess the progress is relative to which side of the guitar you are sitting on! :laugh: But, it sure is nice to hear it from others that you respect as players.

BigBear

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

WOW Craig! That's great! You took on a really tough song and are very close to having it mastered. Plus you did it on a steel stringed guitar. Just terrific!

I think at this point it's just a case of playing it another thousand times until you are comfortable. You probably hear it in your sleep at this point, right? lol!

Again, great job and thanks for sharing! :cheer:

tovo

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm

As others have said Craig, wonderful work on such a tough tune. You have put a heap of time in and you are getting the reward you deserve. Very impressed mate well done.

reiver

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:40 pm

That sounded great, Craig - and no-one pestering you to sing! I think you should be very happy about where you are with this and be looking forward to hearing Neil's comments.

Stuart

Craig

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Rick, Thanks you. You are right about hearing it in my sleep! I think I will put it down for a short period and work on a few other things before I come back to it, just for sanity reasons!

Tony, Thanks mate. As always, I appreciate your encouragement and support. It's been important to me for the last two years, not just this time.

Stuart, You are on to me regarding the selection of an instrumental! :laugh: Thanks for watching and your positive comments.

tombo1230

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Craig, well done! This song is about as hard as it gets and you are so very far down the road with this............WOW! great job! B) :)

Tom N.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Craig wrote:
... For me, the attitude about tackling something like this is important. Once I realized it will take YEARS to get it down, I didn't get as frustrated with it as I usually do! ...
Craig, I've got maybe a half-dozen technically challenging tunes I've been serious about for a year or two and that I still can't play without messing up ...
but there is such a joy in realizing that a certain part of the performance has become musical where it had been just a bunch jangling notes the day before B)

I hope this tune continues to give you such moments ... I'm really impressed by what you've accomplished with it, congrats !

Pierre

Craig

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 am

Tom, Thanks for watching and your kind words. I appreciate you saying that I'm "far down the road on this"...with this one, I'm not sure the road ever ends! :)

Pierre, I always enjoy your insights and philosophies. You hit the nail on the head with this one. The main thing I think I learned through the process of working on this song was to "let go" a little bit, be more patient and just enjoy the experience of occasionally making music. Thank you for your encouragement. Your positive vibe goes a long way.

michelew

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 am

WOW Craig! You sure rose to the challenge on that one. You should be really proud with where you've gotten to.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic