Mason Williams Classical Gas by Craig

willem

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:39 am

Craig,,,the day is arrived that you can scrap this song from your '''someday'' list and put it on the ''now i play every day '' list till you arrived at the '''millions'' you mesiond ,,,Craig you did a fantastic job,,,,,How long were you on this song/tune??/

Willem

RicksPick

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:50 am

Wow Craig

What a song to take on,
well done and congratz

RicksPick

dsmarion

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 am

Craig,

Wow, great job on a very difficult song! It's a real commitment to decide to tackle a song of this magnitude because you can't just do it half-way, and you haven't. You really do have all the parts in there which is enough work by itself - but you also have put in some nice work on refining those parts as well. Slowing it down is a must as others have mentioned and I know that is hard to force yourself to do. But it will pay off as you keep playing it. You are right that this song is one of those "lifetime" works. But those types of songs are so rewarding.

Kudos my friend!

Scott

mark

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 am

Hi Craig

I remembered you predicted that you would have Classical Gas ready for 2015.
So you are a few years early.

It's a difficult song but you are doing the right thing by playing it slow and steady.

I notice one thing that should be fairly easy for to fix. In the first section where there is the variation where there are successive hammer ons, you are playing the hammers too quickly. They need to 8th note hammer ons. Hope that makes sense.

skaladar

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

Well my hat goes off to anyone who even considers attempting this. Let alone get through it. Very nicely done Craig and quite an accomplishment. You deserve to be very proud. Thanks for the look-see!

♫ Ken ♫

abiliog

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 am

Craig,
I take my hat off for you.
This is a really tough peice and you master it to the end very confident.
You should be proud of yourself, nothing less,
Congratulations,
Abilio

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 am

Craig:

Way to go on this. Heck of a tough song to tackle and you should be damn proud of your work on it. Mark made a great point about the hammer-ons. I have to really concentrate when there are many hammer-ons, because I have a bad tendency to speed through them. It is hard to slow yourself down. That being said, I thought that you played this at a VERY good speed. You were able to play through the ENTIRE song smoothly in my opinion. Posting the whole thing.... B) nice.....

I had to watch it twice this morning! Great freakin' job!... :)

It is wonderful to see how far you have come. Hard work is evident.... ;)

MJ

Craig

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 am

Dean, Thank you for the coda advice. I did notice the pause and I'm not sure where that came from. I think after learning the whole thing, now I will go back and work on piece by piece again to try to clean it up. Thanks again

Chris, I appreciate your positive comments. I've finally figured out that I just have to attempt songs (especially something like this) at a much slower tempo. Hopefully now I can begin to pick it up little by little. The one problem with going slow with this one is it's so damn long!

Willem, Thank you my friend! I decided to take this off my "someday" list and get started on it about a year ago but it has been very on and off. It turned into my inbetween working on the Bread songs when I got tired of them. I guess you could say that "Bread" gave me "Gas" :laugh:

RicksPicks, Thanks for watching, I appreciate your support.

Scott, You are right about commitment to this type of song. For me, the attitude about tackling something like this is important. Once I realized it will take YEARS to get it down, I didn't get as frustrated with it as I usually do! Thanks!

Mark, Thank you my TG freind! I knew the hammer-on was bad when I did it but the first time, then did it again at the end!! As always, I appreciate your advice and support.

Ken, Thank you for your positive comments. I really appreciate it!

Abilio, Thank you for watching and giving me your positive feedback. It helps my confidence a lot!

MJ, Thanks for commenting my friend. I need to be more conscience about slowing down the hammer-ons when recording, I think I rush sometimes when "camera nerves" are going. I appreciate your comment on making progress. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm getting anywhere!! Thanks again!

dekotaj

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

BRAVO,BROTHER,BRAVO!!!!

That's what you call taking the bull by the horns.Fantastic Sir, I would like to learn that song sometime.When I do i hope I can do it as well as you just did.Knock the string off them!!

Kevin

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Craig wrote:
MJ, Thanks for commenting my friend. I need to be more conscience about slowing down the hammer-ons when recording, I think I rush sometimes when "camera nerves" are going. I appreciate your comment on making progress. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm getting anywhere!! Thanks again!
Craig: "hard to tell if you are getting anywhere"????.... now that is just funny stuff..... ;) I would say that you have GOTTEN somewhere for sure.... :) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic