buddy learning to play Hallelujah acoustic guitar

buddy

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I have always really liked this song. When I saw Neil's lesson on this I thought I would give it a go.

Bud

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 am

Hi Buddy, this is a well-rounded performance for sure.
I know you're hoping for useful suggestions, and there sure isn't anything "wrong" here, so here's a thought:
In both Leonard Cohen's original version and in Jeff Buckley's cover each voice conveys a certain fragility, maybe weariness.
You do convey emotion in this performance, but since you have a powerful voice, evoking fragility takes some extra doing :P
But maybe this is all beside the point ... just a thought, as I said.

And adding strong accent to a different syllable in the word "Hallelujah" is a great idea, really makes this your own.

Pierre

buddy

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Pierre, Nice to hear from you on this. I really liked your suggestions on the vocals, Maybe I could hit myself in the throat before I start to sing this one, LOL.

Bud

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:33 pm

buddy wrote:
... Maybe I could hit myself in the throat before I start to sing this one, LOL.
... maybe just sit on a thumbtack ? You could balance support between your legs and seat: more weight on seat equals less weight in lyrics :blink:

hope this helps,
Pierre

dekotaj

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 am

BRAVO BUD!!

GREAT tune brother.

Kev

tombo1230

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:06 am

Wow Buddy that was just great!

The only small suggestion I can give you and I know only too well how hard it is to play and sing together, would be to drive the song more from the base. In other words just be a bit more deliberate or heavy with your thumb on the base notes. I am maybe being a bit picky here, but I think it would maybe add something to the overall performance by a couple of percent. It might just be the sound you get from your nails/flesh of your thumb, only you will know, but if it was a bit more accented I really think it would add something to an otherwise brilliant sound you have created. Great job as usual. B)

Tom N.

buddy

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
buddy wrote:
... Maybe I could hit myself in the throat before I start to sing this one, LOL.
... maybe just sit on a thumbtack ? You could balance support between your legs and seat: more weight on seat equals less weight in lyrics :blink:

hope this helps,
Pierre
Pierre, had me laughing with this one !

buddy

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Kev, Thanks much my friend !

buddy

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:36 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Wow Buddy that was just great!

The only small suggestion I can give you and I know only too well how hard it is to play and sing together, would be to drive the song more from the base. In other words just be a bit more deliberate or heavy with your thumb on the base notes. I am maybe being a bit picky here, but I think it would maybe add something to the overall performance by a couple of percent. It might just be the sound you get from your nails/flesh of your thumb, only you will know, but if it was a bit more accented I really think it would add something to an otherwise brilliant sound you have created. Great job as usual. B)

Tom N.
Tom, Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will try this with a thumb pick and see how it goes.

Bud

BobR

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Buddy,

I had seen this the other day but somehow got distracted. Anyway I really enjoyed your performance. To me it had real nice emotion.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic