reviews?

wetdog

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 am

Hey all!

I think I've stated it before, but one of the greatest features of this great site is the chance to be reviewed, wich benefits lots of others as well. And except for Jay's review, there hasn't been any of those for three months.

Sooooo, I hope you don't mind me bringing this up, but I seem to recall a certain promise concerning reviews made right at the end of 2011 (weekly news recap).....! :whistle: :lol: ;)

Needles to say, that it would be really great to see them coming back regurlarly again! :)

cheers

Vanessa

skaladar

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 am

I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. Where have the student reviews gone? There have been a ton of FOTW segments posted which is great. Don’t get me wrong. But they tend run long, often in the half hour range and they sort of evolve in whatever direction the lesson happens to go. The student reviews, with one specific Target Lesson and the more focused review of that lesson looking at areas of improvement in both interpretation and technique, which usually covers a multitude of songs, I find to be more concise and beneficial to my learning process. For me it’s also more of an incentive to work on a particular piece before moving on to another marshmallow. When I don’t see any student reviews for months my goal of practicing songs until it they’re presentable gets fuzzy.

Gawd knows I have absolutely no complaint with the amount of content we are lucky enough to have here. With new lessons every week, the constant improvement of the web site interface and features, the inspirational additions by members in the busking and collaborations channels and the wonderfully supportive community make for lifetimes of things to do, see and from which to learn. I just think it would be nice to see a little more balance when it comes to reviews of the lessons already presented in the target program that people either are working on or inspired to start to work on.

Thanks for bringing this up Ness. I’m curious how others feel about this.

♫ Ken ♫

TGNeil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:01 am

skaladar wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up Ness. I’m curious how others feel about this.

♫ Ken ♫
This is definitely in my plans for the near future. It has just taken us a little more time than expected to sort out some problems with locating all the old ones. There are quite a few other things evolving as well but I expect to work this back into the rotation in the next 2 weeks.

Neil

tvarga

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Vanessa, lately this has been bothering me a lot too. I'm personally not interested in watching somebody else's lesson (maybe I'm wrong about that, but it's how it is) and I guess all the songs that I've voted for don't have high numbers so I haven't seen a finger picking lesson that particularly moves me in quite a while. Although I am working on Signe at the moment, I'm finding myself looking elsewhere for inspiration ... which is unfortunate.

TGNeil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Tom,

Not a slack key fan I take it. The more complex ones are right around the corner.

Neil

dekotaj

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:25 pm

tvarga wrote:
Vanessa, lately this has been bothering me a lot too. I'm personally not interested in watching somebody else's lesson (maybe I'm wrong about that, but it's how it is) and I guess all the songs that I've voted for don't have high numbers so I haven't seen a finger picking lesson that particularly moves me in quite a while. Although I am working on Signe at the moment, I'm finding myself looking elsewhere for inspiration ... which is unfortunate.

SIR you just read my mind.I've been what'in to say something for a Longgggggggg time about this.

OK let me start again here.I'm still recovering from Daryl's Blowing in the wind.And I don't want to go off on a rant.But I find myself coming to this site these days to hang out with my TG friends.Not to see what song might be New lessons.Witch is not a bad thing.Hell worth every cent to be here!!!I was promised years ago that some Croce song were close to coming.My thought now is if they come now,more than likely there going to be song I've learned somewhere else.

OK OK OK.

Neil I cant even imaging how much HARD WORK it takes to run this great site!! I know everyone has there own taste in music.And you can't make everyone happy.I no this, and OK with it.Just way to many promises.to keep up with sir.And WE all no you have a life out side of TG.This is just me complaining.

And by the way.What the Hell did you guys do with D-Dog.Lock in a room and throw away the key.Haven't seen him in along time now that he went to work for you folks.LOL

I no I no,The answer my friend is blowing in the wind!!!Sorry could not help it.

Kevin

willem

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

tvarga wrote:

I want to say that I like your uploads and I watch them so now and than,,not only for your playing but also the reviews and benefit from it too,,and I was a bit wondering how your progress is on for example ''on the horizon'' and maybe you could do an second upload..

I sure can imagine that people want a review and get the answers the want and move on..

suziko

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:06 am

Well I indeed had the feeling that I wouldn't be alone in this.....I do find it a real pity that whenever things get busy, and of course running a business is a LOT OF HARD WORK , that the student-reviews seem to be the first to set aside, while they are actually, like I already stated, one of the best features of the site..... :(

And in honest, it stopped me in uploading them as well....I of course still work on songs, but I don't care to upload them anymore.

All in all, I really do hope that they'll return soon and hopefully they will keep coming on a regular basis as well, we sure benefit from them hugely as pointed out by several others in this thread.

Thanks for listening,

cheers!

Vanessa

schm040

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:12 am

Ness et al,

I will play the devil's advocate here and say this.............

Let's not forget that when you upload a song for review it benefits all members of the site irrespective of whether or not Neil responds to it in the Target Reviews.

I don't know about everyone else, but I get loads of inspiration from all of the uploads whether is TVarga churning away at Classical Gas or Buddy serenading us from his palatial ranch, Ness reminding me how beautiful music is, Daryl giving us all his technical wizardy....need I go on?

Sorry but that's how I see it..

Matt

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 am

Just out of interest folks, what are your favourite features of the site.... make a list of them in order of personal importance...
here's a new thread for that: http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/11- ... html#95242

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic