buddy learning to play IF I WERE A CARPENTER acoustic guitar

buddy

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I learned this song for my darling wife of 30 years for Valentines Day. As you can see I combined a number of versions of this song in this rendition.

Bud

Lavallee

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 am

Hi Buddy, your fingerpicking technique is very good and, really, that guitar sounds great in drop D. Very good video again

tombo1230

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 am

This was terrific Buddy. I liked the singing, the playing and the sound from your guitar in this tuning was a bit special.

Great job! I'm sure your wife loves this gift. :)

Tom N.

dennisg

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:42 am

Buddy, I've seen about a dozen versions of this song over the years, and yours is about the best one. Great picking technique.

The only suggestion I would make is to vary that little bass interlude in between verses to make it a little less predictable -- maybe intersperse it with another one. But that's a small point in an otherwise stellar performance.

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am

Nice job Buddy. I was really excited when the lesson went up on this one. I heard Robert Plant's cover of this some years back and enjoyed it very much. Tried to learn it a couple of years ago, but it was well beyond my skill level, so it went on the shelf. The lesson went up and I tried it again. It is better, but not yet to a point of where you are with it. Really great work here... :)

MJ

dekotaj

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 am

Buddy

I have always enjoyed the lyric of this song.Miss Bud most have really love it.Bravo.

I called Lisa last year and sang, got to love you in a song.(Croce)
This year its going to be Forever and Forever (Randy Travis )

Kevin

jimcjimc

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 am

Buddy,
Great job on this Tim Hardin classic! I learned this song in a workshop taught by a female guitarist. She made the point that some women thought the lyrics in this song are a bit sexist. ...following behind me... and the women sings "I'd put you above me" ...just saying... But still a very beautiful song.
Jim

buddy

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Buddy, your fingerpicking technique is very good and, really, that guitar sounds great in drop D. Very good video again
Howdy Marc, Glad you liked this rendition. Thanks for the prompt to mention that this is in Drop D tuning.

Bud

buddy

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Tom, Thanks much for listening in on this. I really love what I can do with the expression system on this Taylor. You can really work the EQ to fit any song.

Bud

buddy

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 pm

dennisg wrote:
Buddy, I've seen about a dozen versions of this song over the years, and yours is about the best one. Great picking technique.

The only suggestion I would make is to vary that little bass interlude in between verses to make it a little less predictable -- maybe intersperse it with another one. But that's a small point in an otherwise stellar performance.
Wow, Dennis thanks much for those very kind words. I appreciate you constructive input on this and as this song evolves for me I will fit your thoughts in as well.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic