Neil Hogan on the horizon A+B by willem

willem

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello,,this year I set me an goal to learn this beautiful tune by Neil Hogan,,I have worked now for two months on it and it seems not to progress some more so I upload my attempt for maybe getting some (or many) tips on my attempt,which i proberly should know ,,,slow down,,metronome etc,,,but maybe some encouragement would help also..

I record myself several times for finding my own faulds and I fond some and worked on it too,, I think it needs just time,,,much time..

Thanks in advance for watching and your comments,,tips etc...

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I can't help you on this at all Willem but I will give you a big pat on the back for the work you have put in so far. It's a really nice tune, isn't it.

dekotaj

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Willem,

Quite the undertaking you got going for yourself.A LOT of left hand work on that tune.I've been working on Romanza for a couple of years now.So I no The feeling of working a tune for a long time.BRAVO on the effort Sir.

Kevin

jimcjimc

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi Willem,

Good on ya mate for tackling this song. I haven't looked at this lesson, but it sounded OK to me and other than that I am not qualified to give any other feedback. Keep working on it and thanks for sharing your progress so far!
Jim

buddy

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Willem, Kudos for taking on such a hard tune. This one is a real hand twister for both the right and left hand. You have it pretty far down the road a few more play through s and you will have it wired.

Bud

tombo1230

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Willem,
full credit to you for tackleing this very difficult tune.

I haven't tried this one myself but it looks like a fair workout on the left hand.

Your left hand position looks pretty healthy with a good arch to it, but you are buzzing a few notes. Maybe you need to get closer to the fret, or perhaps one of your fingers is straying onto the adjacent string I thought. Then I noticed your guitar is moving about a fair bit, so I am thinking you are not comfortable in this playing position. I think you might need to try different positions so as to be relaxed and have the guitar steadier than it is, then you won't have to make adjustments because the guitar keeps moving away from your body. If the guitar is anchored your point of reference won't change all the time, this might make things easier for you. Just my observation. You may be completely happy with your position in which case I will shut up. :)

Anyway well done so far, that's a big challenge. Keep at it, it will come good for you. Tunes like that need a lot of time and practice. :)

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks

Craig

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Willem,
That is a beautiful tune, and a tough one! I would say you are pretty far along for only two months on a song this difficult. Keep at it.
Good work!

Craig

willem

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 am

Chris, Thx for the pat

Kevin, maybe it is an idea to go back on romanza as well..thx

Jim, I aint there yet,,I can practice this the whole day.thx

Buddy, The gym goes on..thx

Tom, Thx for the credits,,Oh Yes buzzing but this record was the best of,,,many.

I did not notice the movement of my guitar,,I thought I had it very tight but no, I really searched for position 'cos it is needed,,it must be very tight and anchored to my body thats the best so I experiment a lot and found it a bit,,thx for your good observation..You must try it or have a litlle look at it..

Dermot, yes,time after time,lets HOPE for Neil.

Craig, thx,,I keep at it,,I eat it,,Its very healty,,well after a certain time my fingers hurt..

I really find it a great tune and know for sure its gonna take a long time 'cos its not only pickin out notes but you got to feel the music too..when I came here in the beginning of the site and heard this tune it almost teared me up and that is not happen yet when I try it...

schm040

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 am

Willem,

I watched your upload some thoughts since I know this song pretty well now.

This tune does not lend itself to interpretation at all. I believe that all of the notes are very intentional and deliberate. That said, go back to the Tab and be sure you are playing the notes as written and most importantly, listen to Neil play it over and over.

I tend to forget myself to listen to the original thinking I can figure it out myself but I am always proven wrong.

Lastly, work on one section at a time and get it right first. Maybe this helps.

Keep going, I love this tune.

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic