Moloka'i Waltz by jimcjimc

jimcjimc

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi All - Thanks for the comments. Several firsts for me with this video: My first video of a target song (not sure why it took me so long), first slack key song (although this song doesn't have a a typical slack key feel to it) and first finger-picking song ( although not the usual finger picking patterns).

Chris - Thanks for the comments, although I am not sure about "fun work" and "interesting tune". I think I have practiced this song more than any song ever and must have filmed it hundreds of times before I could get it this good. I played it so many times I got sick of the melody. I think I will give it a rest for a few weeks, but will come back to it and try to get it smoother.

Andy - Thanks for the suggestion - one measure at a time - I definitely need to work more on the "C" measures and getting better tone with the barre.

Buddy - Thanks for the encouragement. This is only a level 3 song, but nothing on the guitar comes easy to me and this one was a real challenge and stretch for me just to get it to this point. "flow like butter" - that's a good thought

rick - Thanks - glad to hear that someone else is working on this. I would love to see your version!

Vanessa - Thanks for the encouragement and the comments. I will work on the bass notes. When I started this song, I tended to use the index finger of both hands the most. Then I worked on using the proper right hand finger for the playing the strings and thought I should use the left hand fingers in 1st position, which is why I was using my middle finger and pinky - I will try your suggestion.

Willem - Thanks as always for your comments. Yes, I thought I would take a break from my strumming with a pick efforts and try something completely different for a break.

Mark - Thanks for the great suggestions. I will look at the right hand positioning on the alternate basses. It took me forever to get to this point of learning the song and being able to play it as well as I did. As I practice it more, I will try to sustain the notes better.

Craig - Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I am also meaning to learn some slack key songs. I am real excited to see some of the recent lessons! This song doesn't have some of the usual slack key riffs, but it seemed like a good starting point for me.

Bob - Thanks for the encuoragement!

dekotaj

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Hey Jim-

What Ness said,and not just the bass notes.Heck nail them all man,right next to the fret,and let those baby's ring.

Give'm Hell Sir

BRAVO!!
Kev

Lavallee

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey Jim, good work in progress. Following what Mark and Vanessa mentioned, I would add that if your right hand is stable, (thumb for bass strings and the 3 following fingers for the 3 high pitch strings) you will not have to look at your right hand. Right now you are alternating right and left all the time making difficult to concentrate on the chords.

Keep up the good , glad that you are posting more often, you are progressing all the time

Marc

sws626

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:59 am

Hi Jim,
Great to see you posting this challenging piece. I'm going to have to pick up my game before we get together next time.

Some good suggestions here already in terms of technique. If I were working on this, the next thing I would work on is the rhythm, maybe just focusing on repeating a couple of measures until you get that "waltzy" feel with the bass notes ringing out strongly. I'd pick a relativeyl simple couple of measures (like 1:16 to 1:32) without any major finger streches or changes in position and just play this in cycles against a metronome until it feels like dancing.

-Stuart

MarkM

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 am

Jim,

Congrats on posting this song. Nothing new from me as you've gotten all great advice. Keep at it and pretty soon your hands will know what to do without much thought. After more practice this will become second nature. Post it again in a few weeks so we can see your progress. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

jimcjimc

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks again everyone! I have received some really great feedback on this video! This site is great!

Kevin - Thanks, I will try to give them hell next time!

Marc - Thanks for the encouragement and the tip about stable right hand. I have a video of this song from a week ago, where on just about every note, I look behind my eyes to remember what to play, then look at my left hand, then my right hand, then play the note. It was pretty ugly to see.

Stuart - Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion on the rhythm and metronome. I have usually not used metronomes, but for this song it makes a lot of sense. Good to see you posting again. Let me know if you are back in San Jose and want to get together. I bought a second guitar, so you won't need to rent one next time :)

MarkM - I will post an update if and when I get this song to another level

Andy - After I posted the previous comment, I thought I should add that it was nice to get feedback from Hawaii on a Hawaiian song. I have fond memories of playing with you and your friends at the church last June.

lueders

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Jim, I am way, way, way late to the party here...and you have clearly got some awesome advice...and I don't have anything particularly clever to say other than I praise you for taking on this tune and I think your getting great tone out of your finger picking. :) :) Once you get that the rhythm and the quality picking (that you already have) working together a little but better it is gonna be quite a show piece for you.

B.TW. I sure know what you mean about playing something over & over you are so sick of the melody! Glad to hear that isn't just me tjhat goes through that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic