Moloka'i Waltz by jimcjimc

jimcjimc

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I have had one of my guitars in open G tuning and was looking at Hula Blues and some other songs. So, when I saw the lesson on this song and the fly on the wall with Sandy, I thought I should try this one first!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Jim, that open G sounds good and at about half way through you seem to get into your stride and it becomes smoother. It looks like a fun work out for you. Maybe the next step is to focus on the flow to get it nice and even all the way through, maybe be slower... and then try it out with the metronome? I think this is a really interesting tune for you to work on and you have started well: Good job!

AndyT

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice Jim. Try working on it one measure at a time and by the time you get to the end, you should have it mastered. Keep going!

buddy

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Wow Jim, Kudos to you for taking on such a difficult tune and really stretching yourself. You seem to have the notes down and some playing time will make this flow like butter. Again, congrats on such a tough tune.

Bud

RicksPick

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

So cool Jim
Congratz on getting so far

I'm also working on this too, but not as far through it though
Sounding good

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Jim,

Well I really enjoyed this vid of yours, you're off with a great start, very nice tune as well!

As for feedback, what I'd like to point out is for instance those bassnotes that you play here and there at the 2nd and 4th fret, 6st string. Try to let them ring as long as you can, let go of one at exactly the same time when playing the next, since you want them to sound legato. Also, use your index and ringfinger, instead of your middlefinger and pinky.

Good work Jim, great to see you working on such a nice tune, keep it up! :)

Ness

willem

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Way to go Jim,,fingerpickin is a great skill and also great when you(we)are sick of all that strumming and man nailing a waltz,,i think why,,,all that hula girls he.. :laugh: B)
I like also the G tuning...

Our queen has observate you and see has great eyes and ears(listening ears),, :laugh: :laugh: its a sweetie :cheer: :cheer: :P

Willem

mark

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Jim

I have a couple of suggestions which may help.

Try and let all the notes sustain much longer. A lot of notes you are playing you are cutting short.
If you manage to hold the notes longer before moving your fingers for the next notes it will sound smoother.

I notice that you change your right hand position completly when you play just bass notes with your thumb.
There isn't any need to do this. You can keep your right hand position the same (with your fingers waiting close to the strings).
This will cut down the amount of movement your hand will need to do and improve your accuracy

Craig

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Nice work Jim, you are off to a good start on this. Once I finish up what I'm working on now, I think I am heading towards the "slack key" stuff as well. You have already received some great advice from of the other members. I would just say time and practice and you will have it nailed before you know it. Thanks for the inspiration to get to the slack key songs! Keep up the good work!

Craig

BobR

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep at it and I look forward to your progress.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic