schm040 learning Pink Moon guitar lesson

tombo1230

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Matt, good work!

Firstly I don't know the guy or the song at all, but I listened to a part of the song, wich was so kindly posted by Dermot.

Your first question, yeah, it sure sounds like the original! ;)

Second question, sure, your playing looks steady throughout. The things I've noticed though, when you go up the neck in 5th and 7th position (?), when moving between those two frets, all of a sudden you tend to speed it up halfway playing it, so that's less steady. When going back to 1st position the first maybe four times you landed there there too early like for instance on the 4th beat instead of the first beat of the next measure. Later, I think at least two times you landed there on time, so I guess it's just a matter of paying attention to it some more. Also when going up on the neck again, make sure you get there at the right time as well, wich you did most of the time, but here and there it was not.

Good work Matt, it looks like you're determined to get better and you are as well! :)

Ness

Craig

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Matt,
I really liked that. Nice job. I'm not familiar at all so I appreciate the introduction. I will definately check out some of his stuff. Well played on your part. Thanks for posting.

Craig

schm040

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:45 am

TG friends, good so see this was well received. I am working on two other Nick Drake tunes as well. Most of his music is different than this tune in that they are played with his fingers, but are similar in that they use alternate tunings mostly. To be honest, it is hard for me to tell if he plays Pink Moon with his fingers or with a pick because when you listen to his other stuff he must have fingernails made of tortoise shell or something, the tone is so crisp. So I use a pick for this one.

Ness, great feedback. I see what you mean about speeding up. As far as the changes on the 4th beat....that was intentional in most places. Can I send you the tab? The way it is written (and I believe it is pretty accurate), many of the changes happen this way, but it is possible that I did it in some places where I shouldn't have.

Thank you for listening all.

One cool note about this tuning Nick Drake used (CGCFCE), it is not that bad getting in to because you are mostly going down except for the 2nd string, but that only goes up 1/2 step, so string breakage potential is minimized!!!!! Plus a few other songs of his are in this tuning. Added bonus, if you go to just CGDGBE first, changing only the 5th and 6th strings first, you are in Neil's C Wahine tuning.

I will thank Daryl for giving me the link below about a year ago. It has many of Nick Drake's songs including Pink Moon......check it out.

Matt

http://tommyemmanuel.wordpress.com/nick-drake/

tombo1230

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 am

Funny enough I had found a tab in my sheetmusic-collection of this song, so I wondered about that and I do understand what you mean, still I wasn't sure how to explain it in english. However, there is a lot of anticipating the first beat going on, wich he does on that certain spot as well. Only, at least that's what the tab says, and that's what I think I hear in the original, the anticipating is with open strings (the last three of the 16th notes of the 4th beat), the actual fretting of the chord that follows is on the 1st beat, wich you played on the 4th. You actually kinda do that around 04.00. Just leave the strings open before actually landing.

Oh well.....'pink, pink, pink, pink, pink'...... :P ;)

schm040 wrote:

Ness, great feedback. I see what you mean about speeding up. As far as the changes on the 4th beat....that was intentional in most places. Can I send you the tab? The way it is written (and I believe it is pretty accurate), many of the changes happen this way, but it is possible that I did it in some places where I shouldn't have.

schm040

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 am

Ness,

Normally what you said is true, just as Neil teaches us, regarding the open strings on the last " & uh" of the 16th beats, but the tab I have shows the chord change on the last "uh" anticipating the chord for the next measure.

Take a look at this tab and tell me if I am sniffing too much glue :)

Matt

schm040

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 am

The file didn't attach, this always happens to me. I will try to send it to you via email. Sorry.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Matt, it's great that you found time to come up for air here in TG land. I don't think I know much of anything by this artist.
So, another gold nugget: some subtle playing here, very cool ! Now off to see another of the videos you put up recently !

Pierre

schm040

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:36 am

Yes, I hear you Matt, I'm sure that's what your tab says, then still the next measure should contain 4 beats, just like every measure, wich is I think not the case. There is something, I think a beat?, missing. Please, count along with your own playing and with Nick Drake's playing and you'll hear what I mean.

Anyway, send me the tab anyway. ;)

schm040 wrote:

Ness,

Normally what you said is true, just as Neil teaches us, regarding the open strings on the last " & uh" of the 16th beats, but the tab I have shows the chord change on the last "uh" anticipating the chord for the next measure.

Take a look at this tab and tell me if I am sniffing too much glue :)

Matt

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am

Nice work on a song/artist I didn't know.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic