Leonard Cohen Hallelujah by MarkM

rapsidy

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 am

Hey Mark

As others have said your playing is flawless to my ears and just sounded great as good as the real thing

I also agree you captured the mood with your singing, we all know our limitations in this area but I feel you are improving all the time, I think you have a enough understanding of the guitar now for you to branch out and get someone to help you understand the singing mechanics, after all its another instrument, once you get that right you'll have a great package.

Very envious of your playing B)

jayswett

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 am

I was wondering what you've been up to, and I must say you didn't disappoint with this video. Beautifully done. As for the guitar, your knowledge of guitar materials and guitars in general is impressive. I came to the realization long ago that I don't have the ear to pick up on subtleties with regard to sounds created by the various guitar shapes and materials. Having said that, even a casual observer would acknowledge that your new guitar sounds great. I love the color.

haoli25

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 am

Put me down for tossing a few bucks in your guitar case too, Mark. That was excellent. Beautiful guitar too.

Bill Image

MarkM

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Dermot - Thank you so much for the kind words!!

Tom - Thank you. That's exactly what I told my wife when I bought it. I'd just play it more. Not sure if that was a good thing or not :dry: :dry:

Brad - Thanks!! Yup any help on how to sing would be a bonus.

Jay - Great to hear from you. Thanks!! I guess I'm a bit nutty when it comes to guitars. Although I can't play them very well I do love everything about them. An expensive habbit I suppose. Look at it this way. I'm not spending lots of money skiing anymore........

Bill - Thankis Bill. I'll take it. Got to build that bank account after my last acquisition.

MarkM

Yamaha48

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Hello my friend MarkM.

Good to see this video with your brand new guitar.
Nice color,a Taylor yeh for me big monney hahha.
A good steady picking with more tempo.
But i like it,i play the same version but a lower tempo.
Evry one play a song he like.

cheers from Holland....Anton

buddy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey Mark!

Personally I think you can do no wrong doing Hallelujah....I really love the song, it's beautiful!

I thought the tempo of your playing was very consistent, as it usually is, nice little hammerons, beautiful tone, really a great job. The only thing, imho, wich will make it even smoother, when you play those bassnotes in the intro and prior to all the verses, is to sustain them as lóng as you can (wich is in your case just a tad longer). Don't lift your finger or put one down before you áctually hit the next bassnote. It's an 'at the same time motion' letting go and hitting the next.

As for the singing, you're not giving yourself enough credit, I very much enjoy listening to your voice, and I think you've found the very right key as well. And there is a part, let's say the second part of the verse ('the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall etc.) when the melody goes up, I have a feeling that you're feeling insecure about reaching higher, because I'm sure you can. But it also might have to do that you don't know wich notes to reach for. For that it's maybe an idea to find the melody on your guitar and sing along with it, you will have an idea what you're striving for.

In any way, really enjoyed your vid Mark, great to see and hear you again!

Ness

tovo

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Mark,

I'm glad I was able to check in and check out (you playing this tune).

Would it surprise you to hear that this is a favourite of mine? Probably not.

You played it so very well. You must have golden fingers my man because the tone you get from your guitar, whichever one you pick up, is just wonderful .

In terms of tempo it was absolutely 100% consistent throughout. It was faster than I prefer but that's just me. Given that this tune has been covered so many times by so many people I think a different spin on the phrasing is a good thing to keep people's interest and you gave it your own spin which I applaud.

Always love seeing you play mate. Bravo.

Lavallee

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Mark, Hope you are doing well. I little late to comment, but I really enjoyed it: solid playing and certainly you best singing video from my standpoint. And of course, the guitar.... a beauty with a rich sound.

Marc

MarkM

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 am

Anton - Thank you so much. I hope all is going well for you these days. Thanks for watching.

Ness - Thank you for watching!! I really happy you liked it. I'll try and focus a bit more on the two bass notes on the 6th string before the verse like yoiu said. I know I can from time to time get there a bit late and have to rush through.

Tony- Well, well, well...... In from the cold (or should we say heat from where you are). I'm glad you got a chance to check this out. I was thinking of you when I was starting to learn this song. If I remember corrrectly you posted a version of this way back some time. I was looking for it here on TG but every search I did came up with nothing. From what I remember you played and sang it really well so I wanted to check it out. Yea my tempo was a hair faster than most I think. I tried it at different speeds but alway came back to this one as it felt most comfortable to me. I could just go on auto pilot at this speed. All others I had to concentrate a bit more. Not enough brain cells to do that and sing....... Thanks for watching. Hope all is well.

Marc - Thank you so much!!! Any trips down south for you coming up????

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic