buddy holly not fade away by willem////trying to get the feel of the rhythm

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 am

After the fly on the wall with Fred on this song I thought I feel the rhythm a bit but not sure yet..

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

sws626

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Willem,
Great to see you working on this song. I haven't seen Neil's lesson yet, so don't know exactly what he recommends. The rhythm in the first part sounds about right, though I'd suggest muting with your left hand between some strokes to make them more distinct. I'm not sure exactly what's going in when you jump up to the 12th (?) fret. In the original recording there's a sharp, almost knife-like insertion on the electric guitar, which may be what you are trying to capture. If so, I think it just needs to be a bit shorter and sharper (both metaphorically and maybe also a couple of steps higher on the neck, as it sounds a little flat here to me).

The strumming on the first part also looks good, but I notice you stop moving your had when you go up the next, which may be throwing you off.

I've listened to an early recording again and think I hear this in the first measure:

D - D U - U D - (with accents on beats 1, the "and" of beat 2, and 4 as highlited in bold here)

The second measure sounds to me like this:

- U D - D - - (accenting beats 2 and 3).

You might want to practice these separately at a lower tempo until it's automoatic.

And it sounds to me like the chord you're playing up the neck is maybe an E (in a D shape) on the 4th fret (or I guess on the 6th with your capo).

I love hearing stuff at this stage when we're trying to figure out how it should sound. Thanks for sharing.

-Stuart

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Stuart, I folowed the lesson when it was relaesed and found it kinda difficult the get that rhythm,,then I folowed the fly on the wall with Fred and came a bit clearer ,,thats wat I upload trying to get the feel,,it is just an part of the whole rhythm section. there is certain some muting but first i want to feel it a bit..

Willem

Edit: in my vid from 1.24 till 1.34 it is just a blooper

second edit:my guitar is tuned down a whole step so capo = eadgbe

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Dermot, I like all kind of guitar playing and the rhythm in this song was what attract me.

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
It's a great rhythm and well worth working on.
I love it too Willem.
Post another video as you progress.

:) :) :)

I love this rhythm more then a bunch of sixteens,,but pinball wizard would be great,,and OH, don't feel stretched its only that spring is coming..

:laugh: B) :huh:

suziko

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Willem,

THe strum pattern Neil gives in his lesson is: E: D D ud A: uDuD E: uDD I've capitalized the strokes that get stressed. There is muting on the notes on the E chord, too.

Suzi

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:17 pm

suziko wrote:
Willem,

THe strum pattern Neil gives in his lesson is: E: D D ud A: uDuD E: uDD I've capitalized the strokes that get stressed. There is muting on the notes on the E chord, too.

Suzi
Yeah-yeah,,but there are ghost and shadow strums(well they feel so),,I know what Neil said also a baut the muting,,if you want ,see the fly on the wall with Fred,awesome

Thx

edit: also I know a baut the accents

buddy

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Willem, I also like to see these videos in progress because it reminds how much work goes into learning a song. This video should get the worlds longest introduction award as well, LOL.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic