buddy holly not fade away by willem////trying to get the feel of the rhythm

willem

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm

buddy wrote:
Willem, I also like to see these videos in progress because it reminds how much work goes into learning a song. This video should get the worlds longest introduction award as well, LOL.

Bud
lol Buddy,,then you got time to get your glasses,,,its a nice award THX Image

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks

reiver

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Willem

I think there is a problem with the timing of your chord changes which is making it difficult to fit the strum pattern. This section is made up of two 4 beat measures;

the 1st measure; 2 beats of E followed by 2 beats of A
the 2nd measure; 2 beats of E followed by 2 beats of rest

You're playing 4 beats of E followed by 4 beats of A, then 2 beats of E and 2 beats of rest. This is what's throwing the rhythm out. Once you have got the timing of the chord changes then you'll find that the strumming pattern which Suzi wrote out for you will fit a lot easier. I'd try to make sure I had the basic strum pattern flowing before I worried about the ghosts and shadows.

Stuart

willem

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:26 am

reiver wrote:
Willem

I think there is a problem with the timing of your chord changes which is making it difficult to fit the strum pattern. This section is made up of two 4 beat measures;

the 1st measure; 2 beats of E followed by 2 beats of A
the 2nd measure; 2 beats of E followed by 2 beats of rest

You're playing 4 beats of E followed by 4 beats of A, then 2 beats of E and 2 beats of rest. This is what's throwing the rhythm out. Once you have got the timing of the chord changes then you'll find that the strumming pattern which Suzi wrote out for you will fit a lot easier. I'd try to make sure I had the basic strum pattern flowing before I worried about the ghosts and shadows.

Stuart
Hi Stuart thx,, I think I must be happy then when you said what i played 'cos thats what the tab said I try to count it

E: 1 mute 2 and three A: and 4 and 1 E: and 2 mute 3 ..I underlined the accents ,,I tryed also to play it a kinda fast and then the strums not accented feels like a ghost or shadow,,well they fly by,,the right hand moves a kinda fast so don't forget to hit those ghosts or shadow a little softer,,its a fascinating rhythm and hope we try it..

Willem

reiver

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:44 am

Hi Willem

I'm a little confused. Your tab description may be right - but that's not what you're playing. You are holding the opening 2 chords for 4 beats. As an exercise, try counting off in 8s along with your version. Every time you get back to 1, you should start repeating the opening E.

Also, it looks (and sounds) like you're playing the final A shape at the 12 fret. I think you should be at the 11th.

Good luck with it.

Stuart

willem

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 am

reiver wrote:
Hi Willem

I'm a little confused. Your tab description may be right - but that's not what you're playing. You are holding the opening 2 chords for 4 beats. As an exercise, try counting off in 8s along with your version. Every time you get back to 1, you should start repeating the opening E.

Also, it looks (and sounds) like you're playing the final A shape at the 12 fret. I think you should be at the 11th.

Good luck with it.

Stuart

AH thx again..I think I get you now,,maybe the first two strums I play to fast..

I play the final A shape at the 9 fret,,,,capo is zero and the guitar is tuned down a whole step..

Edit: sorry,,i must play the final chord one step down,,i played on 10,,,, :blush: :blush: :laugh:

buddy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Willem, have you tried playing along with Neil?

Ness

willem

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:54 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Willem, have you tried playing along with Neil?

Ness

Yes and it was an honnor..lol I now play along with the Gpro file at 100 bpm.
I think I will not finish this song ,,it is so fast but it still fascinates me.

W.

Fred

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey Willem,

Thanks for sharing that! Keep plugging away! It is a challenge, but keep going. Also - I would agree with Stuart with his comments re: the first and second meausre. As Neil reminds me - play it out slowly and as the chrord changes come easier at a slower pace, gradually speed it up.

Another challenge for me is that when playinig the middle part in triad progression, it's very hard to get my fingers to make the speedy transitions. So that is still a big work in progess - as is the entire song.

Good luck!

Fred

willem

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:58 am

Fred wrote:
Hey Willem,

Thanks for sharing that! Keep plugging away! It is a challenge, but keep going. Also - I would agree with Stuart with his comments re: the first and second meausre. As Neil reminds me - play it out slowly and as the chrord changes come easier at a slower pace, gradually speed it up.

Another challenge for me is that when playinig the middle part in triad progression, it's very hard to get my fingers to make the speedy transitions. So that is still a big work in progess - as is the entire song.

Good luck!

Fred
Hey Fred thanks for your respond,I thought I had it a bit but no..I slow down now and try to play along with Neil and Gpro.. I think the difficult part is that solo kinda thing on the top three strings and the totall speed ot the whole song,,it looks easy in the first place but when you(me) try it you(we) come behind thr treud..

thx keep sharing maybe the other BH songs are easy ....oh oh peggy......etc
W.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic