Eva Cassidy Kathy's Song by suziko

suziko

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 am

This is my version of Kathy’s Song, based on Eva Cassidy’s arrangement of Paul Simon’s song. I’ve always loved this song, with its delicate fingerpicking accompaniment that seems to mimic the “rain” imagery in the song, and its evocative lyrics (“There, but for the grace of you, go I” is one of my favorite all-time lines in a song). I hadn’t actually heard Eva’s version until Neil posted the lesson on it. She changed the chords slightly and, of course, sings it in a different key from him. I’ve heard full versions, where she sings all the verses, as well as this abridged version. I’m playing it pretty much exactly as Neil’s lesson describes, though I tried to keep my picking fairly random.

The guitar part isn’t that difficult, just a standard Travis picking throughout. I got the song roughly down in just a couple of hours. But the tempo was a bit of a challenge to me and, of course, adding in vocals created another level of complexity. Level 4 songs are generally right in my comfort zone, but there are always challenges and lessons to be found in any song I learn.

My camera nerves set in right at the end of the outro, where my fingers just stumbled over themselves. I thought about trying to refilm it and try to get a “perfect” take, but I find that the perfect take is a fairly elusive beast and generally causes more grief than it’s worth. I am quite sure that most of you will understand!

Suzi

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

schm040

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:16 am

Suzi,

I love this song.

I was sitting in my car one night in my early 20's, heard this song, and said, "I want to be able to play that kind of music".

Thank you for posting your arrangement. I loved it. You made it your own and you looked relaxed and comfortable.

Matt

jimcjimc

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:39 am

Suzi,
Great job on this! Very enjoyable!
Jim

Music Junkie

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:40 am

Suzi:

Very nice work there. You did a great job on the picking. Picked it up in a couple of hours??? Nice! I don't know what it is about picking that gives me such fits. Even simple patterns trip me up after a bit. I love how you kept a nice steady beat and made the hammer-ons. Then you added in the vocals as well.... :lol: Very nice song for you and I thought you did a beautiful job. I am always impressed by those of you who can sing and play. I am stuck solidly on humming and playing at the current time. Someday.... ;)

I love the songs that you tackle and the introductions you do. You are becoming quite the player and performer. Something to be proud of.

BTW, dig the bright pink capo! :laugh:

J

Craig

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 am

Suzi,
Way to go! I thought the fingerpicking, tempo, and singing were all very well done. I agree that singing turns any level 4 song into a level 6 immediately! I enjoyed that all the way around.

Craig

dennisg

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

Sue,

That's probably the nicest, sweetest thing I've ever heard you play. It may be "only" a level 4, but what you do with it is just gorgeous, far beyond what you would have been able to do with it even a year ago. Your picking is perfect, your hammers confident, and your chord changes in perfect tempo. And (frankly, I don't know what's gotten into you!) your singing is the most confident I've ever heard from you.

NKenny

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 am

Suzi

That was very easy to listen to and relaxing. Great guitar playing and singing. Well done.

Kenny

dtaylor

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 am

When listening to an upload it's a measure of quality that you can just enjoy the performance without watching for flubs or being on edge because of the vocals, that was just a pleasure to listen to in every way.

rdaltry

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:51 am

awesome job as usual suzi!

suziko

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:04 am

Matt- Thanks so much. I know that feeling, of hearing a song and thinking “I want to play that!” I still haven’t gotten over the thrill of being able to recreate something beautiful that I’ve heard. I can’t imagine that I ever will. Isn’t playing guitar the best?

Jim- Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed.

Jason- Well, like I said, I had it “roughly” down in a few hours. Getting it up to speed took some time (and frankly I’m not even entirely sure I’m actually playing it at the right tempo. I just played it at what felt right in my memory of how the song goes) and adding vocals was the hardest bit. Singing is NOT my forte and it’s something that I have to spend a lot of time on still. Someday maybe it’ll come easier. Glad you like my capo. I’m nothing if not a girly-girl! :)

Craig- thanks for your kind words! Singing does make a song harder (for those of us who aren’t “naturals” anyway!) but listening to a song like this without vocals wouldn’t be very interesting!

Dennis- Thanks so much for your kind words! This is such a pretty little song, and so enjoyable to play. I’m really glad you liked my playing and vocals. I have been working with a voice teacher, which I do think has helped. Though I admit there are plenty of days where I feel like a lost cause and want to just throw in the towel. Thankfully, my impatient side is fairly well-balanced by my stubborn and persistent side.

Kenny- Thank you! I do have a penchant for those soft sounds of the 60s and 70s! :)

Dean- What a nice comment! I’m glad that my mini-flub at the end didn’t bother you as much as it bothers me!

Rdaltry- Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic