Eva Cassidy Kathy's Song by suziko

sbutler

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

OH WOW, Suzi, your a knockout in that dress, (well anytime), but whew!! That was special. I think this song found who needed to sing it, and its VERY Happy with your voice.

I am proud that i can say "I learn from the same guy She does, and AIN'T She good"!!!

Singing and playing like that, well I am impressed.

Great JOB Suzi.

Scott

beaker

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Suzi, That was really great, I watched & enjoyed the whole thing. Just perfect that you left your imperfect ending. It sounded great anyway. It is really great to see your excellent playing progress over time. You are really flying! Congrats. Beaker.

suziko

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Abilio- Oh, I didn’t learn to do it all in a few hours! I did get the song roughly learned in just a few hours but it took me some time to get it smooth and up to tempo. Anyway- thank you so much for your compliment. I am really glad you liked the video!

Rick- This is such a beautiful song, I’m just glad that people think I did it some justice. I’ve learned so much from my time at TG and I’m just looking forward to hopefully making more progress as I go forward. Neil’s a great teacher and the lessons here are incomparable.

Buddy- “Delicate” is a great word for this song. I actually pulled my seat in closer than usual to the camera in part because I was worried that my audio wouldn’t be loud enough since I really wanted to play and sing it softly. I don’t use an external mic (yet) and the mic on my Zi8 is really just ok.

Shel- You are so sweet! Thank you so much for everything you said! The “stuff up” is minor but to my ears it’s hugely apparent. You know how it is when you’ve posted a vid! Every little note looms large. At the risk of sounding cheesey, this song is one I really connect with emotionally. I find it so melancholic and wistful, so even though I was in a perfectly fine mood when I recorded this, I think the mood of the song still affects how I performed it. I did think afterwards, when I watched it, “Gosh, I looks so serious and sad!!” But it’s not really a song that invites big grins and chuckles. Thanks again- your support means so much to me!

Scott- Oh wow (back atcha), thanks! This spring has been freakishly warm in Wisconsin. Usually around this time of year I’m still shoveling snow. But we’ve had about two weeks of record-breaking warm days. So I had to bust out the summer clothes early! And as an official girly-girl (as mentioned above,) that means dresses and skirts. :) Thanks for your kind words, too, about my singing and playing. We sure do have a good teacher here at TG, don’t we?

Beaker- Perfect is overrated, don’t you think? :) I’m really glad you enjoyed my video- and thanks for your kind words about my playing!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:49 pm

How many shades of beautiful was that!
Absolutely spell-binding. Wow!

I love this song so much and Eva's version is just perfect and you captured it perfectly... and how good was that solo!
You played and sung that superbly Suzi. I simply cannot praise this video enough. Your hands just flew.

You do melancholy far too well... now I need chocolate... and lots of it!

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 pm

That was great Suzi, I really enjoyed it. You have definitely passed the stage of learning how to finger-pick, and are now perfecting your skills.
A rightfully confident vocal performance, and as for the guitar "flub", just being able to let it be (without making a face like biting into a lemon) also shows great progress, and makes defects just evaporate.

Thanks! Very nice !
Pierre

tovo

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm

You should be very, very proud of what you have achieved Sue. Such huge improvement, particularly in your vocals but also in the ease with which you played that. Congratulations.

AcousticAl

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm

What a nice surprise to see this after being away for a bit.

I'm actually not familiar with the song (although I know I should be!). But I have to say this is my favourite upload you've done, Suzi.
Great picking, sweet singing, good engaging the audience/eye contact.

Really nice work..
And thanks for sharing.

suziko

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:17 am

Chris- Wow, thanks so much for your comments! I agree that Eva’s version is really nice, though I also love Paul’s original version. I’m glad you thought I played and sang it well. As for the melancholy, it’s definitely the emotion I’m drawn to most in songs (and other art). I think a lot of the time I’m just concentrating on what I’m doing, but I’m glad that comes off as melancholic.

Pierre- thanks so much. I feel good about where my Travis Picking is, but it’s amazing how different it can be when you switch to a different pattern. I’m still unhappy with my arpeggios, for example, and when I was working on Neil’s FotW lesson for The Weary Kind I got really frustrated trying to get my fingers to learn the pattern in that song (which begins, strangely enough, on a treble note!). Thanks for watching and commenting!

Tony- Thanks, really kind of you to say! It was a really nice song to learn and play. When will we see something from you again?

Al- I’m so glad you liked this video! And it’s really nice to hear that it’s your favorite! I’m surprised you’ve never heard this song (the original). It was on the Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits album, which my dad owned and which I grew up listening to on a regular basis. I recommend checking out the original version- it’s a beautiful song.

tombo1230

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:07 am

Suzi,
your playing and singing just gets better and better! That was really just brilliant and it looks very plain to me you have moved to a new level of confidence and ability. Way to go girl, I'm impressed! :) Loved everything about this performance.

Tom N.

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:02 pm

This may be in the 'Upload for review ' thread , but I don't think anyone could as your playing and singing is spellbinding. Simply superb, loved it. You should try more Eva songs you certainly have the voice. And such accomplished Travis picking. Most interested to see Neils take on this.

Encore young lady.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic