Peter Gabriel Solsbury Hill by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

schm040

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Holy Crap Al,

I was just playing this song 5 minutes ago. I know you laughed on that transition but I thought you did it pretty well, that is the hardest fingering part.

You also seem to have that F# minor rocking barre thing going well too.

Nice tempo and tone.

Great work.

Matt

dennisg

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Two observations:

1. I'm incredibly envious! I wondered if anyone was going to take this song on, and I should have figured it would be you. You did just great! I'd love to see another version when you get more comfortable with it, bring it up to speed, and add your voice -- which I think would suit this song perfectly.

2. Your new little Taylor sounds just right on this tune, and that narrow fretboard is probably ideal.

Way to go. You rock!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Solid!
You have to hear that said in the right 70's John Denver style voice to get the full expression of my admiration Al. "So-lid!"
Its sounding might fine... looking forward to hearing that at full speed.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Al, your brain must be quite spongy, and I mean that as a compliment (believe it or not),
because you sure managed to "absorb" this recent lesson quickly.
It would take soooo much longer for me to get it to the point you have achieved.

And it's great to see you bring out the mini Taylor, so congratulations, and all, on that ...
I'm pretty infatuated with mine at the moment, it's like a honeymoon, I guess :kiss:

It sure has a good, round tone to it ... super consistent manufacturing !
I think it's my first guitar strung with medium strings, have always had light ones.
What do you think of the setup on this instrument? Do you plan on leaving it as is ?
I wonder if eventually lowering the action a bit (on the saddle side) might be worthwhile (when the honeymoon is over) :S

Anyway, wonderful progress on this tune !!

Pierre

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 pm

schm040 wrote:
Holy Crap Al,

I was just playing this song 5 minutes ago. I know you laughed on that transition but I thought you did it pretty well, that is the hardest fingering part.

You also seem to have that F# minor rocking barre thing going well too.

Nice tempo and tone.

Great work.

Matt
Matt- there's ALWAYS at least one part in every song that I have such a hard time getting cleanly. This song actually has quite a few, but I did luck out a few times in this take as well. :)
I'd like to see where you're at with this song as well when you get a chance.

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 pm

dennisg wrote:
Two observations:

1. I'm incredibly envious! I wondered if anyone was going to take this song on, and I should have figured it would be you. You did just great! I'd love to see another version when you get more comfortable with it, bring it up to speed, and add your voice -- which I think would suit this song perfectly.

2. Your new little Taylor sounds just right on this tune, and that narrow fretboard is probably ideal.

Way to go. You rock!

Hey thanks Dennis. You couldn't pay me a better compliment than telling me 'I rock!'
You're right about the shorter/narrower fretboard helping with fingering this song. Quick changes and tough to nail cleanly!
Less distance to travel helps me I guess.

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Chris- full speed ahead? Eventually. After another 400 or so playthroughs.

Pierre- I love the honeymoon phase with a guitar. Probably why I switch them up so often!!
The setup of mine isn't ideal- which is surprising, as Taylors do tend to be pretty good right out of the box. Mine seems a bit too high and there's actually a buzz when I play 'e' on the d-string. I get a free setup at the place I bought it, so that should sort things out.

Dermot- you snuck in there while I was typing.. Thanks for your comment. Singing this would prove a toughie with the complicated fingerpicking- but we'll see down the road.

buddy

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Al, Nice work and I like that little Taylor. I also would love to hear you sing this tune as I think it would very special with your voice.

Bus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic