John Lennon Oh My Love by Craig

tovo

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Craig,

Mate I think this video represents a big step forward for your playing. You were steady and confident around some tough chords. I liked the unrushed way in which you played this. Bravo, well done.

dennisg

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 am

Craig,

There are very few songs I prefer as instrumentals, but this is one if them. Absolutely gorgeous! Every time I hear your playing I'm a little stunned by how good you're getting. You have every right to kvell a little.

I'd love to hear this with a better recording setup that would enhance your tone and minimize the background noise.

Craig

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Tony, Thanks Mate! I'm trying to take on some difficult techniques ("rolling" barre chord notes for example) that are probably still above my abilities, but I would like to think that I'm heading in the right direction! I appreciate it. Thank you for checking in on me!

Dennis, I'm actually not a huge fan of the Lennon version. The "Hapa" version is the one that I think is just beautiful! Your kind words mean a lot to me. Now my plan is to clean this up (along with Classical Gas) as long-term projects, and choose a song more in my range for the next project!.
I think the background noise is a subconscience ploy to drown out mistakes! :laugh: Al and Chris also diplomatically mentioned the poopy quality of the recording... So, I guess it's time to either buy some decent recording equipment at the most, or figure out how to use my camera at the least! :) Thanks again my TG Friend.

michelew

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Craig,

That was really lovely and played with feeling. I'd also like to hear it a bit better. No need to be shy, you're amongst friends and you sound reall good.

I look forward to seeing you closer up and hearing you better when you ditch the white noise and get a bit more close and personal.

Beautiful.

Shel

cosmicmechanic

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Craig, I sure agree with all the good that's been said of your progress on this version, but now somebody's got to stand up for Lennon's version !

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple reasons to underestimate the original:
The fragile vocals and childlike lyrics can make it appear to be a barefoot flower-child of a song, and somewhat dated.
And there may even still be some (unconscious?) lingering anti-Yoko grudge associated with a Lennon love song from that post-Beatles period.

I think it with a bit of calmness, it's possible to appreciate it for what it was meant to be: pure simplicity, detached from current trends.

Is that sufficient to get you to sing it ?

You're doing really well on this, regardless !

Pierre

Craig

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Michelle, Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Yes, my next upload will be a close up and I will work on the recording quality...but remember, be careful what you ask for! :laugh:

Pierre, I would have been extremely disappointed if you didn't come to Lennon's rescue!!! The funny (hypocritical) part is that as much as I've said I prefer the instrumental version, I always sing the song in my head when I play it! ... and, my stance on Yoko has mellowed over the years! :laugh: Thanks for watching.

dsmarion

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:41 am

Nice job Craig! As Mark points out, finger picking barre chords is a very tough challenge and you are doing quite well. I am also waiting for the wide-screen version :-)

Scott

Craig

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

Scott, Thanks for watching. Some difficult stuff for me going on in this song for sure. Some days it sounds decent, some days not so good! I appreciate your encouragement. I think the narrow screen makes me look a little slimmer! :laugh:

rapsidy

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 pm

thanks craig sounded great, im not familiar with song , isnt you tube great for that

brad

Craig

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Brad, Thanks for watching and the positive feedback, it means a lot to me. Youtube is great for that, but also great for keeping me up late at night watching old Beatle videos and interviews! :laugh:
Thanks again,
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic