buddy learning Chasm guitar lesson

buddy

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:01 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

First and Foremost, thanks to everyone who gave me so much honest and constructive feedback on the first version of this song. I tried to incorporate most of your thoughts and ideas. Feel free to give me any and all constructive feedback on this version as it has helped me tremendously.

I wrote the lyrics to this tune to express my grief over how we as people are being divided.

Thanks,

Bud

Lavallee

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 pm

HI Buddy, good changes, I like it a lot. I think that your light strumming is mixing very well and it change the pace. Your singing tonality varies quite well.

Good work, now a song about joy :)

Marc

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks

schm040

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:19 am

Buddy,

Holy crap that is great. I feel sorry for that brook trout!!!

You seem really open to inspiration and suggestions so maybe I could offer that you incorporate "a middle 8" bridge with some double time strumming. It could be instrumental and perhaps play either some full barres or small d shape versions of your Gs and Fs at the 5th and 7th positions. Take a look at the Sandman lesson Neil just did where he goes over the 32 second note strumming. Maybe something like that with a moving bass line.

I think it is a beautifully dark song so maybe add some additional tension with augmented 7ths or 9ths as well in the "fast bridge"....oh yeah, this doesn't have to be a bridge but could be a quick outro or intro as well.

Incredible. Keep writing.

Matt

buddy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Marc, Thanks much for your input on this tune. It's funny, I am a very peaceful and content person but this song just really jumped out for me.

Bud

buddy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Dermot, thanks for the feedback and the ideas on this track as I found them very helpful.

Bud

suziko

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:27 am

Buddy,

I missed the first version of this song, but I like what you're doing with this version. I like the variation in the softer picking versus the slightly heavier strumming in the chorus. It's really cool that you're working on writing your own songs. That's something I keep telling myself I should really try to do- but covers are just so much easier :)

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:58 am

Good integration of the suggestions from the feed back Buddy... this is more refined. Good going!

buddy

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:09 am

schm040 wrote:

Buddy,

Holy crap that is great. I feel sorry for that brook trout!!!

You seem really open to inspiration and suggestions so maybe I could offer that you incorporate "a middle 8" bridge with some double time strumming. It could be instrumental and perhaps play either some full barres or small d shape versions of your Gs and Fs at the 5th and 7th positions. Take a look at the Sandman lesson Neil just did where he goes over the 32 second note strumming. Maybe something like that with a moving bass line.

I think it is a beautifully dark song so maybe add some additional tension with augmented 7ths or 9ths as well in the "fast bridge"....oh yeah, this doesn't have to be a bridge but could be a quick outro or intro as well.

Incredible. Keep writing.

Matt
Matt, Thanks for you comments, suggestions and encouragement on this. I laughed at your comments about the brook trout. I used the word brook in this song because it has a dual meaning in that the alternative definition of brook means to tolerate or put up with something that is not positive. I was trying to create a double image with the hook and the brook oohoo:

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi Buddy,

This effort is really worth pursuing ... now let me tear it to bits (just joking)

It has an appropriate mood (smouldering ?) for the lyrics : mystery and tension. Develop that, it really works.

What I would humbly suggest for the chorus, for example, from 1:10 to 1:45, is the following:

You repeat a 4 chord progression 4 times ... 16 in all, says the math whiz !

The strumming is: "down down up up down" for each of the 4 chords (16 times, remember ?).

I feel that if you vary that strumming pattern somewhat it will make it much more interesting, will draw the listener in even more.
A lot more bang for very little buck.

I'm anxious for the next version !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic