schm040 Ventura Highway guitar lesson review upload

schm040

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:57 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

schm040

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey,

As you can see I am in a posting mood.

This song is HARD, plus I tried the insane thing of playing the lead that Neil teaches in the lesson.

No, I did not use a metronome like I should.

Used a Dmaj7 up the neck a couple of times.

I think I need to let the open E ring out more for the G6 chord but over all I am happy to be able to put all these pieces together, its not perfect, but progress is being made. You should have heard this a year ago!! Ouch.

Matt

BobR

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Matt,

A hard one indeed. And you're tackling the lead too. I have been trying this but I have been alternating between the "easier" G6. Just the open G without the high G pinky and the one you're using.

A real good work in progress.

Thanks for posting

Bob

buddy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Matt, Great tune to take on as this one will really stretch you and your fingers. You have all the pieces on this one going in the right direction.

Bud

Lavallee

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Matt, you are getting there, not an easy one as you said but you have all the pieces, I really like your strumming, and I can hear your voice in the background singing. Is it a sign to come?

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:10 am

This song is HARD,
Aint that the truth Matt! I hear you on this one. it is one of my absolute favourites, what a feel this song has to it!
You are doing an heroic job so far, that's for sure. I really like the strumming and how its developing and I'm sure Neil is going to say, use the 'nome and slow it down but you are getting there. The riff may need some attention and there may be a stroke or two missing a couple of times (I'd have to have guitar in hand to explain it) but I really hope Neil answers this great work.

schm040

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:51 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for responding to the post.

Slowing things down is one of my current goals as far as a metronome well....... I have been a bad boy.

As far as singing, I do not have a great voice but I do understand how important that it is for some songs to at least try!!!!

The good news is that I am starting to hear the singing in my head as I play more and more. It is interesting how the singing "floats" around the measures of strumming if you know what I mean.

All in good time, right?

As Tony says, back to practicing.

Matt

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:52 am

Yup go for the nome mate... I used to hate it but its my friend now.. Strumming is going well but speeds up and down, hence the nome comment. The hammer on in the intro are not easy I actually picked up my Geetar to try them out and had a few issue to begin with, its all about a piece at a time and go slowly. You have all the pieces that's self evident , now take your time and go for it mate. This is a 5 level song after all and not easy.

suziko

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:57 am

Matt,

Sorry I'm so late in getting to this! This song is another one that i've had on my to-do list since I started playing. But for a level 5, it's surprisingly hard!! That intro is incredibly tricky and I just haven't had the patience to persist at it.

You've had lots of good comments already, so I'll just add some words of encouragement regarding singing. Very few of us here at TG have "good" voices. Most of us are here because we want to learn to play guitar, not because we are singers. But with a lot of the songs here, they're just more fun to watch when someone adds the vocals. If you feel at all compelled to sing, I'd really encourage you to give it a go. You're among about the most supportive people anywhere on the internet. No one here will be anything but kind and encouraging. And who knows? Maybe you'll surprise yourself and find you sing better than you think!

Suzi

dtaylor

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Hear Hear!
Remember Clapton of all people thought his voice was rubbish and didn't want to do it... he turned out ok :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic