Dave Matthews Band Crash Into Me by thereshopeyet

buddy

Thu May 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Dermot, really nice to see a video from you ! This song is a lot more challenging than it first appears so kudos to you for learning. it. You have it pretty far down the road and I look forward to Neils input on this one.

Bud

beaker

Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Dermot, This song is definitely happening for you. Nice work. I know how difficult those stretches are between those bass notes! I think you have gotten a couple pieces of great advice here. My only idea is... Keep on strumming, that R hand strum will be free and easy. Beaker.

thereshopeyet

Thu May 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Buddy

Thanks for the encouragement it would be great to get a review sometime.
That would put a fresh slant on it for me.
Thanks

Beaker
Sometime I pick up the guitar and the strum is loose and others I feel like a total beginner.

It's like Random ability.... if there's such a thing.

I know it need a lot of attention, timing, strumming and focus but am really at a loss
how to improve from here.

I'll keep strumming for sure!

Thanks to both of you for commenting.

Dermot

AcousticAl

Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Dermot,

Good advice so far. I'd also relax a bit and slow it down. (can be tough in front of a camera).

Keep at it and I hope Neil reviews this for you.

jayswett

Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 am

Your ability to stretch to your fingers for those difficult chords is impressive. You are not far from nailing this song. You are hitting the bass notes well. Just lighten up the strum a bit.

Lavallee

Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 am

HI Dermot, for lightening the strum I tried recently to play with softer picks. I use to play all the time with 0.88. Now for some strumming, especially when it needs to be fast I use 0.66. It soften the strum level. It might just be what is needed here as your strumming action seems to be very good.

Marc

thereshopeyet

Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am

Al
Thanks for the feedback.
I do need to relax!
Now that's tough!
:S

Jay
Thanks for that compliment.... impressive!
I can assure you I do feel it .... ouch!
I think the stretch would be mastered if I could smile!
Thanks again

Marc
That's a good observation.
I usually use a dunlop 0.6 but on this occasion it wasn't handy and I used quite a thick one.
I have a couple of those green brain picks 0.53 I'll try them too, they are quite thin though super bendy!!

Thanks guys

Dermot

dennisg

Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Dermot,

There are a lot of things I really enjoyed about this video, including hearing your Scots brogue.

I haven't read any of the previous responses, but I'm going to guess this issue has already been addressed: I'd like to see you lighten up significantly on the strum. Relax. Hold the pick a little more loosely. Vary the strings that you hit as well as the pressure you hit them with. Stop fixating on the camera, which has the unintended effect of making you even more tense.

I don't normally use one TG student's video as instruction for another, but I think it's really appropriate. Here's MarkM, who is a particularly good strummer. Notice the degree of pressure he puts on the strings and the number of strings he hits at any given time.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... obody.html

A lot of what I'm talking about is due, I think, to your inexperience in front of the camera. I'd suggest recording some of your practice sessions so that the camera becomes a natural part of what you do instead of feeling like you're all of a sudden placed naked in front of a 20,000-person arena audience.

This song is well on its way toward being something you can really be proud of. Keep at it.

thereshopeyet

Fri May 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Hello Dennis

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the link to MarkM's video that's great.

You are right about the camera.
I have to switch it on more often and ignore it, this it an obstacle.

I'll work on it for sure.

Thanks again

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic