John Fahey The Last Steam Engine Train by tvarga

Lavallee

Sat May 19, 2012 7:20 am

Very Nice Tom, looks like a challenging song, you sure got the train whistling part sounding great. The bass line is coming out well (I like bassy sounds). What did you change in your setup? To learn this in two weeks is very impressive. You have all the chords down, probably just need to work the regularity of the bass line that gets a bit lost sometimes when playing in the lower end of the fretboard.

Great video Tom

Marc

tvarga

Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure I deserved much praise on this one as I just watched it again and man was it messy. I still have a lot of work to do on it.

Willem, a harp? That would sure make for an interesting sound.

Bud, thanks. Actually I don't know what this old guitar is made out of. It does look like maple though. I got it as a teenager way back when...

Beaker, it may seem like a short time, but the way I work on a song is that it's the only thing I play, over and over. Eventually, the muscle memory starts to take over.

Mark, it's funny about the tone. Neil mentions in the lesson that he often uses a thumb pick to accentuate the base notes. Well, I didn't want to use one so I just added some base boost to the audio. I guess it helped.

Pierre, man you're funny! I had to read your post a few time to figure out what you meant! :) We won't discuss that talent any further ...

Dermot, true enough. I probably wouldn't have even considered learning it but Neil suggested that I try it in my last video review so I figured I should give it a go.

Al and Marc, I agree that the base notes are key in this song. It's amazing how clean John or Neil makes it sound. I've got a long way to go before I get there...

BobR

Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi Tom,

I've been away a few days and needed my TG fix :laugh: Thanks for the look

You're well on your way with this and is sounding really good.

Bob

Craig

Sun May 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Tom,
Sorry I'm a little late to this. ... Great job! I'm always very impressed with how quickly you learn very difficult pieces. well done!

Craig

suziko

Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Tom,

LIke everyone else, I'm very impressed that you could get this song to this state in such a short period of time. It's really coming along! Sounds great and just needs some minor polishing! I'm definitely envious of your fingerpicking ability.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic