Bob Dylan by thereshopeyet

thereshopeyet

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 am

Hello Tom

This is a great song so I'll chip away at it now.
Lots of food for thought there.

Thanks.

Dermot

jayswett

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't have anything to add in terms of helpful suggestions, but I will say that I certainly enjoyed the video and would enjoy even more an update in a month or so. You are well on your way.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Jay
Although I'm now strumming the progression with a basic strum ( no bass notes) and the chord changes are
improving it doesn't sound much like Tambourine Man!

I'm not sure if after a little more practice it would be considered acceptable to post what I'm doing in the review channel
as I have already posted one but have attempted forum suggestions but unaware I could be practicing the progression / strum entirely wrong.

Posting the video may contribute to interesting review feedback for folk at my level with strumming this song
but would both versions be considered in the one review..... two versions may not be noticed as they are not grouped together.

What do you think?
(question to all)

tombo1230

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:04 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Thanks Jay
Although I'm now strumming the progression with a basic strum ( no bass notes) and the chord changes are
improving it doesn't sound much like Tambourine Man!

I'm not sure if after a little more practice it would be considered acceptable to post what I'm doing in the review channel
as I have already posted one but have attempted forum suggestions but unaware I could be practicing the progression / strum entirely wrong.

Posting the video may contribute to interesting review feedback for folk at my level with strumming this song
but would both versions be considered in the one review..... two versions may not be noticed as they are not grouped together.

What do you think?
(question to all)
It's up to you Dermot how you proceed. I had a look at the lesson, it won't sound right until you have added the base notes back in. In the strum section Neil for a little bit plays the same chord over and over, this lets you hear the rythm. I would suggest you do that first and play along with Neil. Just keep rewinding and get the rythm in your head first, then play along on the one chord until you have it. That's my twopence worth. :)

Tom N,

willem

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 am

Hi Dermot,,I do hope so Neil will see the value of giving you a review and after that you can show your progress,,,we!! all do our best to give advise too but getting advise from a teacher(with vid) is so much better I think...and like the fly's on the wall which as so much in it we all can benefit from it and maybe give better advise in futher too..

My penny's..

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:48 am

Hello Tom and Willem

From what your explaining I am probably strumming the progression fine.
Then I'll put in the bass notes with more thought to the song sound as in the lesson.

Thanks again

Dermot

rapsidy

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Dermott

I was excited because for the first time since i began my journey here at TG and watching other students videos, i thought oh he is stopping his hand while changing chords something the good crew here always hammered me for doing. I finally thought I might be able to give some useful advice lol

but the TG beat me to it and you have been given plenty to help you nail this, enjoy the journey

so just finish with my usual advice keep it up your doing great :)

Brad

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Brad

Thanks

willem

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Dermot, I have to say this......I really think you should let go of this idea 'I want it to sound as Neil'......If you can get it to sound like a progression, and you play that smoothly, then you're well on your way. Do not hang on to this song, try others, songs with basic open chords and basic strummings. Play as many of those as possible, at one point it'll all become so natural, adding bassnotes will be a piece of cake then, since everything else will go automatically.

And if you get bored by only hearing the progressions, play along with the original song, or with Neil and try to keep up. Once you can do all that, then move on. But this sticking with it and wanting to sound as Neil is not going to help you at this point.

And really, lots and lots of songs are just chord-progressions or played as such. The vocals make the difference. For example....the last two vids I posted....remove the vocals, would you have had ány idea what songs I was playing??? It were just progressions, basic chords, basic strumming....no more, no less.

Alright, this is my two other cents, which I mean well.

cheers

Ness

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Vanessa

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic