Bob Dylan by thereshopeyet

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:48 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

haoli25

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:16 am

Hi Dermot, thanks for posting your video. I have one suggestion for you that worked for me. In transitioning from one chord to the next, its okay to hit some open strings rather than wait to strum after you have the chord completely down. Remember Neil's rule to put the chord fingers down in the order that you will play the strings too.

Bill

tovo

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:21 am

Hi Dermot, great to see you tackling another song and sharing it with us here on TG!

Seems to me, you do know how to do the strumming, and you hit the bassnotes, that's good too. As for the chordchanges......well.....the first thing to consider is that everytime you make a change, your right hand waits. One of the most important aspects of guitarplaying, your right hand should be the one in control as in never stopping, like a metronome, no matter what is going on with the left hand.

But actually I don't think I'm telling you anything new here (actually you and I have talked about this before as well)....Neil says this a lót in many lessons (and definitely in the acoustic genius-series). He also states that you should practice chordchanges going from one to the other and land on beat one of the next chord. 'AND STOP RIGHT THERE!' He's right of course, the rest of the measure/chord you can play just fine, I just watched it, that's not the big deal, so the actual changes need to be isolated when you practice them. And again, NEVER let your right hand wait for the left hand, KEEP strumming!

Edit: Oh another important thing, if you can't get beat one down as in not being there on time, then SLOW DOWN! :P

Keep up the good work Dermot! :)

Ness

willem

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:29 am

Hi DERMOT,,what I noticed was that you look to your strumming hand and then to your chord hand,,I suggest you look only to your chord hand,,in this song the chord changes have a leading finger on some places what means that there will be a finger that stays on his place while doing the chord change for example from D to G the finger stays on the D note(second string third fret) so don't worry a bout letting the chord loose on the last up stroke and land on the next chord..

hopeyouunderstand..

W.

edit: with that same leading finger you can slide to the A chord while doing the chord change..

tombo1230

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 am

Great advice so far Dermot.

It's simple, don't stop. If you need to stop then you need to slow right down and play at a speed where you can do everything in the time available. You are breaking the rythm. Once you can play smooth with good rythm slowly, then speed will come. I'm tellimg you what you already know. :)

Good luck!

Tom N.

Edit: It might be a good idea to drop the base notes until you get the strumming/chord changes fluent.

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:36 am

Bill, Vanessa, Willem and Tom

Thanks for the responses.

I know these are the most basic chords and though I can do that.
I can't believe how much hard work I am making of it but if I'm honest with myself
it probably just reflects that I've not concentrated enough on basic strumming technique.

I can hear what Neil is playing and I know he has explained I don't need to be a perfect copy but I don't even get near.

This video is my worst effort but I posted it because as your comments point out it amplifies everything I'm doing wrong.
1. Stopping Strumming hand
2. Poor chord change technique.

I have tried using the last up open strum but it just doesn't seem to fit in with the sound Neil produces.

Your comments are appreciated I think I need to get over the noisy transition of keeping the strum going while changing chords..... this is the hard part for me.
Sort of sound terrible as I mess up the chord changes while keeping the strum solid.

Landing on beat one and stopping .... that sounds like the finger picking advise I was given for Docs Guitar.

I'll look at the shared advise again .... there's not much point in me moving on until I get this song right.

Plus I really want to learn it

Thanks for the help

:)

mark

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 am

I think your problem is because you have to pick out a bass note each time on the first beat.
Each time you have to do this you change from looking at your left hand to looking at your right hand.

You could try simplifying the strum by making the first beat just a down strum. Once that is steady you could then try and introduce the bass note.
Also you don't always have to hit just the bass note. You could try and hit two or three bass strings - that way you don't have to be so accurate.

willem

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:50 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Bill, Vanessa, Willem and Tom

Thanks for the responses.

I know these are the most basic chords and though I can do that.
I can't believe how much hard work I am making of it but if I'm honest with myself
it probably just reflects that I've not concentrated enough on basic strumming technique.

I can hear what Neil is playing and I know he has explained I don't need to be a perfect copy but I don't even get near.

This video is my worst effort but I posted it because as your comments point out it amplifies everything I'm doing wrong.
1. Stopping Strumming hand
2. Poor chord change technique.

I have tried using the last up open strum but it just doesn't seem to fit in with the sound Neil produces.
Your comments are appreciated I think I need to get over the noisy transition of keeping the strum going while changing chords..... this is the hard part for me.
Sort of sound terrible as I mess up the chord changes while keeping the strum solid.

Landing on beat one and stopping .... that sounds like the finger picking advise I was given for Docs Guitar.

I'll look at the shared advise again .... there's not much point in me moving on until I get this song right.

Plus I really want to learn it

Thanks for the help

:)
there are not really open strings while you change from one chord to the other, the finger stays on his place(the D note) then you get Neils sound,,when you grip the Gchord you place your pinky on the G note also....

IhopeyougetitdownorneilwillgivedtoYA.

W..

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 am

Mark
Thanks for the suggestions.... Tom said that too... forget the bass note.
As much as I want he bass note....
I think I'll try this.... strum the basic progression..... :blush:

Willem Wrote:
IhopeyougetitdownorneilwillgivedtoYA.
Willem, Neil's more likely to crown me the Menusha King :ohmy:

:S

buddy

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am

Dermot, You have already received some good advice for this tune. I also think one of the most important things I have learned is to never let that right hand stop moving, sort of use it like a metronome. What has helped the most with this is to play along with the original about ten times and even if I mist the chord changes with the left hand, I keep that right hand moving.

Nice work so far ,

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic