James Taylor Something In The Way She Moves by coclimber

tovo

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey mate great job and congratulations on getting up your first post. An absolutely credible job on it as well. You have a really nice voice for that style of song. I too would like to see your face in the video but who knows? Maybe your are in the witness protection program? Seriously, it does make it a more interesting watch to be able to see all of you. Well..maybe not "all"...some things are better kept out of sight.

Great work on the tune.

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Loved it!

And nice to see someone else take a run at this song.

Thanks for posting.

coclimber

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 pm

More thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. Most appreciated!

Dennis:
Firstly, thank you for your detailed response. I am -- as I suspect most people are -- pretty self conscious of my singing voice, so I appreciate the compliment as to how it is suited to this song. And I also appreciate you glossing over the flat notes, there are several at least. I'm cursed with an ear that hears an off pitch coupled with a voice that sings off pitch :dry: ... I won't quit my day job!

I am indeed using a crappy recording system: the internal camera/mic on my MacBook. The fan kicks in after a few minutes and hisses the rest of the time, and of course the distortion is bad. So, points noted, and I may invest in an external mic which should solve the critical issues to an acceptable degree.

I'll try to make future recordings showing my face, but as I am on the FBI most wanted list I'm hesitant to show too much. Perhaps I'll wear my ski mask that shows my mouth only. ;) EDIT: Just saw your post, tovo -- you were close! ;)

(Oh, and getting close enough for the internal mic to pick up the playing cuts off my face -- another problem solved with an external mic.)

Willem:
I do try to let my fingers just play once I'm comfortable with a song, to let the free-style just happen -- but, my fingers also seem to just settle into some familiar, comfortable patterns and the songs I play sometimes sound a bit repetitive. Its tricky to get comfortable enough to play a song and sing it at the same time while while still consciously throwing in free form embellishments, etc -- probably one of the things that separates a gifted musician from the rest of us.

abiliog

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Congratulations on your first video,
Good playing and your voice is really good on this song.
If playing looks so easy, it's because the player is really good on what he is doing. That's what I saw in your video.
You should post more, even if with a ski mask :) , now we know who you are...
Thanks,
Abilio

beaker

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Coclimber, truthfully, that was very good. Very musical. You have been hiding in the shadows, playing your guitar a lot obviously. Nice one! Beaker.

BigBear

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi Coclimber,

Well I thought there are a lót of great things going on in your first upload!

Some things are already mentioned, I very much liked your relaxed and eased way of playing and singing. You didn't rush at all. I also liked the picking-strumming combination. And I sure liked the fact that you sang as well, you have a very nice voice to listen to and it suits this song really well, so all around this was a very admirable take on the song!

I do understand what you mean by wanting to add more embellishments and so on, I guess I would feel the same. And i'm sure you'll get all of that down once you've played it more often, again you're well on your way, congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us!

cheers

Vanessa

coclimber

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Wow, more comments! :cheer:

Al: Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Your rendition -- with harmonies and all -- is at a level I aspire to. I don't know how you play and sing while still hitting so precisely all the various runs, etc. Very impressive! You have a better multi-tasking brain than me.

Abiliog: I will try to post more, thanks for the nice comments about my relaxed playing. I had to close my eyes and pretend I wasn't recording -- and of course, I still got nervous.

Beaker: Thanks, not sure I've ever been accused of being "musical" before. :)

Nesh: Thank you for the detailed, thoughtful comments. Its nice to hear that I at least came across as relaxed and enjoying myself ... this is, indeed, what playing the guitar does for me.

tombo1230

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

coclimber wrote:
Wow, more comments! :cheer:

Beaker: Thanks, not sure I've ever been accused of being "musical" before. :)
Coclimber that was really great. That of course was musical. You sang and played together and kept the rythm and tune going, so that is music to me. Like others have said, your voice really suited this song. The more you play this song the more embellishments you can add to it. Congratulations on a very good first video. Looking forward to your next one.

Tom N.

Hydroman52

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Nice work on this song. Very smooth transitions from picking to strumming and back. Good to see your first upload.

Thanks for posting,
Hydroman52

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Very enjoyable post, your first ... really ? No visible camera jitters at all, your playing is so well-paced and even.

Just a word of warning ... have you checked if kneecaps are legally admissible as evidence for identification of suspects ?
If so, then you just blew your witness protection program cover, so now you have nothing to lose if you include your noggin in future videos B)

Congrats on this !
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic