CCR Who'll Stop the Rain by mbleier

mbleier

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Who'll Stop The Rain

Thanks.

dennisg

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Nice job on this -- it looks like you've got it down really well. One thing I'd recommend is that you loosen up your right wrist a bit and vary the force of your strumming -- for example, a harder strum on the first beat of each measure instead of the same intensity on every beat.

BobR

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Mike,

I agree with Dennis to vary the intensity of the strumming. I also think adding the passing F# bass note going from the G to Em and back adds a lot in the intro and outro. You also seem to be rushing through the interlude a bit.

Nice job

Keep at it.

Bob

tovo

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I love your attitude Mike.

I really agree regarding the wrist. I suffered the same issue and a focus on loosening up the wrist helped my timing and the smoothness of my strumming improve a lot I think.

Keep working on it mate.

mbleier

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Dermont - Thanks for the encouragement, its a fun relatively easy one. There is the one Bm but you could easily skip it like they do on the first verse.

Dennis - Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try to keep the wrist looser. I think I will go check out some Neil strumming for some inspiration. The alternating intensity is something I just always forget about so I will try to remember.

Bob - I remember when I was first checking this song out that I tried the passing F# it didn't come naturally and it just dropped out of my playing because I was lazy. Now that I am getting back into playing again, I need to push myself to add those little extras. I went back and listened and I think I do speed up a little through the interlude, so that will be something I will now know to watch out for.

Tovo - I don't think the wrist thing had been called to my attention on other videos, so it will be a great thing to work on so that I can help get that strumming smoother. Thanks for the kind words. I love my attitude also :lol: if it wasn't fun I wouldn't keep doing it. I like to find a balance between not worrying about it too much and still trying to advance my playing. If I was too uptight about it I would never be willing to post a video as so many of you play so nicely and put up such great videos.

Thanks all for each of the tips and comments. These last two videos I have posted have had such a wealth of great pointers that it makes me psyched to play some more and try and incorporate them.

Mike

coclimber

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:04 pm

It's really all about the atitude, and yours is right on target! As you say, it truly seems like you have found that tricky balance of enjoying yet pushing yourself -- you will improve quickly, I believe, with that approach ... play play play!

You're posts are great, thanks for sharing them. My time spent on TG has been sporadic (as has been my playing) the last couple years. Now that I'm visiting and playing more, post like this inspire me to keep playing, and enjoying. B)

Cheers.

rapsidy

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 am

Hey Mike

this was the song that brought me to TG glad to see your having fun with it looks like you have all the bits down

great job

love your laid back tude B) B)

Brad

Lavallee

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Nice going Mike, I see a good improvement on how you pick the notes during the intro. I can see that your wrist changes orientation to accommodate the strum like movement during the picking. As Dennis was saying about loosen up the wrist , it will help to expand on the picking of the individual notes.

Good work

Marc

jimi40

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Hey there brand new daddy!! Cute pic! ;)

Enjoyed your vid, keep playing, get more relaxed and comfortable with the song (you look relaxed already though :P ) and the right hand will relax some more as well, in any case, you're well on your way!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic