Liliuokalani and I. Aluli Aloha Oe and Pua Mana by nesh16041972

buddy

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 am

Hi TG-friends,

Well what can I say, something completely different this time, but I got my little friend out of his standard and thought it would be a fun challenge to be the first ever to upload a uke-vid for review (am I the first?! :dry: :P )!

The first song, Aloha Oe, is special to me, I was watching Blue Hawaii from Elvis when I was a kid together with my grandmother and when this song came up, she sang loudly and enthousiastically along. I actually pressed her to write down the lyrics for me :laugh: ! In any way, personally I like to sing it, but playing it as a chordmelody on the uke is quite fun. The song is often done in G, but I sing it in C and just kept it there, and well.....this is what I could come up with... :)

The second, Pua Mana, is a song that I learned from our uke-teacher Hal K. I actually just picked a song and this is really a fun one, it makes me smile when I play it! Hal does throw in some more when he does the playthrough, but he hasn't written in out in the tab... :( ...maybe I could've figured out some more about what else he is adding, but....oh well.....I mostly just followed the tab.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Ness

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 am

OK fess up Ness! You actually sleep and dream with a stringed instrument in your hands right????!

They were both amazing! The first was really gorgeous, just beautiful and the second sounded great and REALLY cute... as of course were your expressions and body language. I love your smile.

I'm not normally a fan of chord solos, but you really make that little cutie sing SO sweetie.

I imagine that both of those pieces require a lot of work, but Geeesh woman...you make it look SO easy.

You're a musical marvel!!!

Wow!

Shel

willem

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 am

Thats what I like with a uke,,Hawaiian music,,it gives such a summer feelin...did you work long on it??

Hey I don't wanna fight with you with that long thumb nail,,how does that feel on the strings???

so cute Ness

Willem..

jimcjimc

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am

Vanessa,

That was awesome! Two classic Hawaiian songs. I attend a weekly Hawaiian ukulele class. In the beginning 8 week class session, for 5-6 weeks the only song we do is Puamana. And we still do it weekly in the intermediate class. I haven't tried Hal's instrumental version yet but thanks for reminding me of it!

And of course, every hula and luau ends with Aloha Oe. You may have already discussed this on the forum (and I missed it), but is your grandmother from Hawaii?

Jim

BobR

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Vanessa,

Very nicely done. I liked both of them. I have not tried a uke yet, maybe someday.

Bob

BigBear

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:01 pm

WOW! That was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed that Ness. You have real talent, please keep sharing these videos with us.

Malama pono ( a little Hawaiian sign off)

Cheers! :cheer:

beaker

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Vanessa, Great stuff here! I liked it a lot. It looks like you had a lot of fun too! Beaker.

Craig

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Great way to start my day, with a Vanessa smile! You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing with us!

Craig

tovo

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

My only problem with your videos Ness is that I'm running out of adjectives to describe them! Fantastic, wonderful, brilliant....all of those things every time. Very glad to have you around.

thereshopeyet

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Vanessa

Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic