The Guess Who American Woman by Lavallee

Lavallee

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 am

This is American woman by the Guess Who that I have been wanting to do for a while in a multitrack format. It was a first for a few things, first time mufti track (thanks to Darryl for the big help and the drum track, to Chris and MarkM, for their tips) and first time to be connected directly to the PC (instead of an amplifier ), first time for a complete solo (as you will see it is far from perfect, accurate beds are challenging), first time playing bass (pretty cool to get that deep sound). One deception, the pedal I have did not bring the mean sound of the solo I was hoping for.

The exercise, besides the muti track experience, was to work on timing and get some feel for a solo.So all the tracks are mine except the drum track.

There is no signing in the intro, on purpose for the review, if it happens.

Any comments on how to improve will be appreciated: recording , effects, playing, etc..

Thanks
Marc

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

rapsidy

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:24 am

Well done Marc you have your own band now all five of ya B)

It looks like you had a lot of fun with this song

Is that red guitar at the begining a yamaha APX ??? you have a lot of guitars ;)

Im not familiar with how electric guitars sound, the sound of the solo bend bit didnt seem right to me it seemed too distorted??? and overpowering

loved your rockinging vocals, too hard to sing you did well

i enjoyed your rhythm part

was the blue guitar the bass part as i struggled to hear that

thats not a criticism i dont have a good ear and i have a hard part distihguishing anything once multiple instruments get involved.

Overall it was a pretty cool effort it seemed to blend together well! fairly tightly

loved to see more once ya fine tune it and get used to your new gear :)

Brad

willem

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 am

Wow Marc,,totally impressed,really...I don't know if it is me but i could'nt hear the drums and bass,,I'm sure they are there but i think the electric guitars overpowered those parts,,,man that was rockin again.. B) B) B) B)

Willem

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 am

Marc,

What a great upload!!

My favourite was the lead guitar. Sounded great to me!

The mix could use a little tweaking- but I can't really say how yet.. My headphones died and I'm only
hearing it in my right ear! I'll be back with some new headphones...

tombo1230

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 am

Hi Marc, well done!

The two most difficult things working with video and audio are firstly getting good sync relationship and the other most important thing is a good balance of all the sounds. The balance part needs some work, but that will come with more experience. You have given yourself quite a big challenge with so many sources to work with for your first go, but at least you weren't afraid to do so. It just takes time.

I thought the vocals were a bit distorted, maybe you need to have a limiter in circuit, or just watch the input record levels, or maybe something else, monotoring?.

Getting your head around all of the things that you have done here, is a big achievement and you should be pleased with where you are with it all so far. I look forward to your next mix/video. If you need any help or advice, just ask. :)

The guitar playing was excellent! B)

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Marc:

Tom gives some great advice and info, far beyond my knowledge..... :unsure:

From my standpoint, all I can offer is major kudos on the guitar and bass playing. What a major undertaking! I thought you did a wonderful job and think that you are well on your way to getting this kind of thing figured out for future projects. You always play so well, and look as though you are thoroughly enjoying yourself. I admire the heck out of that and love to watch your videos. You should be very proud of your work and I truly look forward to the next installment! B) B)

Jason

Craig

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Marc,
Wow! I thought that was awesome! Congratulations on so many firsts all in one post! ... Since you are a better player than me, and I'm somewhere in the stone age as far as recording technology, I don't offer advice. I only say how happy I am for you that you are always willing to challenge yourself and go for it... and, look like you are having so much fun doing it! Way to go!

Craig

BigBear

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Marc- FABULOUS!! I love the change over to the electric! Well done!

You created a true multimedia production. I can't even figure out how to post a video and you've got a 5-parter. LOL! That was waaaay cool!

It just seems right for a Canuck to be covering a Canuck band! But I don't remember Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman or Jim Kale having a French accent!! LOL! (I had to tease you about that!)

Another great video my friend. As always, congratulations and thanks so much for sharing it with us!! :cheer:

BobR

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Marc,

I was about to check this during my lunch today but that darn work thing keeps getting in the way and had to wait 'till I got home. WELL WORTH THE WAIT :woohoo: :woohoo: . I thought it was really cool. As others have said it could use a bit of a tweak here and there but overall you've got all the parts down. Hey did you borrow my electric? :laugh: I think I have the same one.

Great job!!
Thanks for the American Woman

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Thank you Brad, I have 2 guitars, the acoustic and the electric. The blue bass guitar belongs to my son. You are absolutely right about some bends not coming right. It is one thing playing it but the recording does not forgive much. But I had fun doing it and I have a bit more experience.

Hi Willem thanks for the comments, the mixing of the sound is something that I will have to work on definitely.

Hi Al, maybe you are better off with the defective one on this video :laugh: The solo did not come out with the sound I was hoping (distortion wise) and the bends needs definite work. But the ice is broken (I wonder if they use that expression in Florida? ) and I feel that I can take some interesting project that I did not dare consider before.

Tom, thanks for commenting . I thought the sync between the image and the sound was certainly not a given and I agree with the sound balance. I think that voice was distorted because I was too close to the microphone. I will certainly use your knowledge in a near future, thanks for offering.

Thanks Jason, I sure had fun doing this, bass was something new. Mind you this bass part was fairly simple, it is probably the Smoke on the water of bass, but starting too complicated would not have been the right choice. Plus a have a better feel for rhythm because of it. I will surely try to learn this instrument for future fun.

Craig, appreciate your kind comments, it was scary a bit at first with everything that needed to be learn (still learning of course). But I am more open to try something new now.

Rick, thanks for taking the time to comments, (especially typing with one hand), Everybody has a french accent , some people are hiding better than others ;)

Thanks

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic