Beatles While my guitar gently weeps - muting sections only by michelew

RicksPick

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Michelle
I would agree with Ness it's not to bad
As you see from my comment in your poll im no expert
I found that I was using the meat behind/below my thumb for muting and used a bouncy strum almost like being on a trampoline
Hence not hitting many strings
Hope you can take something from my ramblings

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 am

Michelle Wrote:
I'm conquering this thing. I can be very stubborn, persistent.
You look really exhausted !!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

willem

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:57 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle Wrote:
I'm conquering this thing. I can be very stubborn, persistent.
You look really exhausted !!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: very funny Dermot,, :laugh: :laugh:

dtaylor

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 am

Could I suggest a step back to move forward?
I think it would be good to try planting the edge of your right palm on that area of the saddle where you get the sound you're looking for (emphasising the bass string area) and using the flex in your wrist to strum ie no movement at the elbow. To do this you'll have to change the way you hold the pick, as has been said- open your 3 other fingers. You won't scrape your pinky and you'll find if you really loosen up your wrist you can get pretty good volume.
Once you're happy with that (don't know how long it will take to get comfortable with it) you should then free up your forearm to take bigger strokes if you need to.

Dean

tovo

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Well Shel.....first thing I would suggest is that you could get a job as a hand model in on-line guitar lessons modeling the PERFECT hand position. Yeah I know....that's your left hand and the issue is your right, but you know, every cloud has a silver lining and all.

With the muting, I would think it easier if your right hand were more open, not so much like a fist. But that's only a thought rather than anything based on knowledge so I would tend to listen to what the better players are saying.

Keep working on it! When you can snatch the pebble....then you are ready.

willem

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

michelew wrote:
willem wrote:
Hi Michele,,my suggestion is do not make a wrist with your strumming hand,,open the other three fingers and use the side of your hand for mutting...I !! always lose rhythm with muting...... B) B) B) :)
Willem,

I haven't heard that before so I'll definitely give it a go.

Thanks!

M.

sorry Shell I said ''not make a wrist'''but I mean ''not make a fist'''.. :laugh: :laugh:

Hydroman52

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 pm

I agree with others. Try more of an open hand. That way, you won't scrape the skin off the knuckles on the higher strings. Otherwise, it's not sounding bad.

Hydroman52

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Well I have to say I feel like a bit of an idiot for struggling with this for so long when I could have unloaded a video showing how I'm doing things and received all of this great advice SO much sooner. I guess it's a courage and stubbornness thing; stubborn to just get it right by myself and lack of courage because I don't want to look like I don't know exactly what I'm doing. Really it's ridiculous, if I knew exactly what I was doing I wouldn't need TG. ;) B) :)

OK so a huge thank you to each and every one of you. I've tried opening my picking hand and placing the side of my hand against the strings and it's already helping to get a better sound. It feels strange since I've had my strumming hand balled up for so long, but I feel like even that one thing, opening my hand, will allow me to progress.

So here's what I've heard and am trying to incorporate:

- open up my strumming hand - don't make a fist
- once open-handed, rest the side of my hand on the strings
- I only need to focus on two or three bass strings
- use smaller strokes when muting
- plant my hand near/on the saddle and flex the wrist, don't move my elbow initially
- move my open hand along the strings from the saddle to pure strings until I find the sound I want
- visualize snatching the pebble ;)
- wake up or sleep zzzzzzz :) :) they are probably both good bits of advice (thanks Dermot ;) )

So individual responses:

Mark - I found your comment really useful, e.g. I thought I was suppose to mute more strings - thanks
Nessa - you keep me smiling and your support in all it's forms is always uplifting, motivating and encouraging ;)
Willem - I think you've hit the nail on the head, if I practice only two things it WILL be opening my hand and planting the SIDE of my hand on the saddle, thanks!
Dermot - You're a funny man ;) you crack me up. 'small steps Ellie' don't forget to do the things you can do comfortably. Pushing the boundaries of your playing all the time can be frustrating. So do the stuff you CAN do too.
Rick - Thanks mate for the encouragement, your experience and observations are no less valuable than anyone else's. Thanks.
Dean - Great advice. I'll definitely be doing all of that. Thanks!
Tony - Thanks for the support. Pebble...got it. ;)
Willem - I knew what you meant, in fact I read it as fist.
Hydro Thanks! Hearing 'not sounding bad' from you is music to my ears.

So a big lesson in this for me is to post earlier. I need to work out when I've hit a wall that is enough of a barrier that just persisting won't help. It's the beauty of this site really (well one of the many good things), if you're prepared to expose yourself struggling with something by posting a progress video, then you're bound to get great advice to help you get over the hurdle.

So if anyone else is struggle out there with something and has been for a while, take advantage of the review function and post a video.

Thanks all!!!

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 am

Great to see you working on stuff and posting for feedback shel. The gang have come up with all the relevant points already so I just need to pat you on the back for posting stuff you are working on as it will encourage others to do so and maybe jog me into doing the same. Good on ya!

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Michelle Wrote:
Pushing the boundaries of your playing all the time can be frustrating. So do the stuff you CAN do too.
That's a good point Michelle.... I do need to look the stuff I can do too!

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic