Beatles While my guitar gently weeps - muting sections only by michelew

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 am

Hi TGers,

I’ve been attempting to palm mute on and off (mostly off...because I’m bad at it) for a while, maybe a year. It’s been a while since I’ve put up something really sucky (I think...I hope...), but I’m here warts and all because my palm-muting sucks and describing it in words isn’t helping.

I suspect that I’m strumming way too hard as well as maybe muting too much ... or just badly. The clip at the end is a pretty ordinary attempt to lighten my strum. I am using a lighter pick a 0.88 Dunlop green as suggested by Marc.

Ignore the crappy barre chords, I actually can do much better. My fretting hand is tired and I’m going too fast, nerves too.

The ouch! is me grating my pinky somehow.

SO... all advice welcome. Besides just practicing muting more, what do I need to change.

Ahhhh... and ignore the stupid guitar faces too. Sorry...no smiling.

Thanks in advance. ;) ;) :) blah, blah blah . Sorry about all the sorrys... :)

Shel

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

mark

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 am

Try taking smaller strokes on the bits where you are going to do the mutes.
I think that's why you are bashing your other fingers into the strings.

For this song on the muted bits you only need to hit 2 or 3 bass strings

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 am

Thanks Mark I'll definitely apply that.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 am

Who knew you could actually hurt yourself when playing the guitar???!! :ohmy: :P :P :P ;) :cheer: :silly:

Good of you to upload this Shel!!!!

As for advice, I think Mark made a good point already, other than that I find it really hard to put anything about this down in words, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Neil will shine some light on this some more.

Still, I really think you're well on your way, it definitely didn't sound as 'bad' as you tried to make us bellieve. :) :)

Ness

willem

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 am

Hi Michele,,my suggestion is do not make a fist with your strumming hand,,open the other three fingers and use the side of your hand for mutting...I !! always lose rhythm with muting...... B) B) B) :)

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Who knew you could actually hurt yourself when playing the guitar???!! :ohmy: :P :P :P ;) :cheer: :silly:

Good of you to upload this Shel!!!!

As for advice, I think Mark made a good point already, other than that I find it really hard to put anything about this down in words, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Neil will shine some light on this some more.

Still, I really think you're well on your way, it definitely didn't sound as 'bad' as you tried to make us bellieve. :) :)

Ness
It just shows you that I'm capable of anything. :P :P :P

Thanks Nessa :) you made me LOL literally. :)

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:42 am

Michelle

I am interested to see how you get on with this muting practice.

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 am

Dermot,

You're a sweetie. Stay tuned, I'm conquering this thing. I can be very stubborn, persistent. I'm a quiet woman normally, so muting should be right down my alley. ;)

Now this makiwara thing. I had to look it up. But, using your guitar as a makiwara post has GOT to be a recipe for BAD karma. Don't do it. I'm trying to think of the 'no n-ukes' equivalent....but I've git nothin'.

I have faith in you. You can do it. :)

Shel

michelew

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:54 am

willem wrote:
Hi Michele,,my suggestion is do not make a wrist with your strumming hand,,open the other three fingers and use the side of your hand for mutting...I !! always lose rhythm with muting...... B) B) B) :)
Willem,

I haven't heard that before so I'll definitely give it a go.

Thanks!

M.

willem

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 am

michelew wrote:
willem wrote:
Hi Michele,,my suggestion is do not make a wrist with your strumming hand,,open the other three fingers and use the side of your hand for mutting...I !! always lose rhythm with muting...... B) B) B) :)
Willem,

I haven't heard that before so I'll definitely give it a go.

Thanks!

M.

well more and less the side of your hand,,observe your self and see what you discover...great song,,i whatched the lesson now..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic