Beatles muting attempt 2 by michelew

suziko

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Shel, this is really great! I think you've made huge strides in getting comfortable with this very challenging technique! I'm proud of you! I was actually just struggling with a muting-bit, trying to play the intro riff to Sweet Home Alabama. I can't nicely mute those first two open bass strings! I know i need to palm mute it, but it still sounds bad :( I'm going to have to rewatch your video AND read all the advice youve received and try to apply it to my own playing!

Super proud of you!!!

Suzi

michelew

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Suzi,

You're the SWEETEST! You've put a big smile on my face.

If I can make some progress on this, you ABSOLUTELY can do it and do it better.

Thanks sweet woman. :) :) :)

Shel

willem

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 am

Hi Michele,,I think you ask me to film my practice on the tune and muting etc,,so I upload one to the review section..

here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

EDIT: What i try is the way MarkM discribes in his post below..

MarkM

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Michele,

You've made some serious progress on this technique. I saw the poll that you put up as well on this and really couldn't put a time frame on that. I think that this technique is more about feel than dissecting the movements needed to mute the strings. You're doing a great job so far. When I use palm muting it is more of a one motion where I hit the bass stings at the very same time that I mute it with the edge of my palm. Almost like I'm attacking the string and damping the sound at the same time. Tough to explain properly. Anyway I love the song choice and you've really come a longs ways with this. Keep it up and show us your progress.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm

HI Michelle way to go. I admire your perseverance with the guitar it certainly pays dividends. I think the advice on this is pretty solid , relax the whole strumming arm a bit more , more from the arm not wrist and I think MarkM was alluding to the angle of attack on the mute strokes. If you watch Neil closely on the mute strokes his hand is out from the guitar at a greater angle approx 30degrees(ish) then revert to a straight up and down stroke for the normal strum.

michelew

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey guys thanks for your support and advice.

Willem - My gosh that was quick! Man you've a natural, it's sounding good already. It's great to see it from this side. Thanks for the peak. It all helps to get it in my brain.

Mark - Thanks Mark. I hear you with the it's a feel thing. And yes it is hard to dissect in words. Even Vanessa had trouble writing it down. But, when she showed me how instead it really started to filter down into my brain and helped to pull all the pieces of advice together. If only I could plug my brain into yours, Nessa's and the the other great TG players and get a download of the feel. :) Thanks for the extra advice I'll definitely give that a go. I started learning how to Chunk on the ukulele the other day, it's also a hit and mute with your thumb/heel of your hand at the same time sort of move. So hopefully it will start to feel a bit more natural soon. Thanks!

Chas Thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing you play something soon.

Thanks guys. The advice and support is rally motivating.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic