Beatles muting attempt 2 by michelew

michelew

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 am

Hi y’all,

I had hoped to put this up earlier. But, I’ve been away for a while.

This is just to show you that I’m attempting to implement your advice. I’m using a more open hand and am getting a muted sound at least. It still feels pretty strange and I’m not getting the variation or percussive effect yet that I’d like to achieve at some point. But, I feel like I’ve broken the first barrier and am headed in the right direction. So step one has pretty much been open my hand more and place more of my palm (and the side of my hand) near the bridge.

Thanks. I’ll keep working on getting more freedom or movement and a lighter and more natural attack.

Warning - I look very serious.

Shel

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 am

I'm not sure what the more advanced players here will say Shel but to me that looks like its a long way down the line already, a real improvement. I think you are very close to where you want to be with muting. Thanks for the look!

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:52 am

Aaaaaaaaaah Shel, how great to see an update! :) :)

And yep, Chris is right, a huge improvement ánd withóut any accidents!!!!! :P :laugh:

No, I'm serious, I think you got a lot down already, just keep going for the sound you want to hear. And of course, you wíll get used to it. I think it's really great what you've accomplished so far!

WAY TO GO WOMAN!!! :cheer: :cheer: :kiss:

Ness

willem

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:39 am

Wow Michele,,indeed an improvement,,from my opinion and if I can remember the lesson right know it is ponding on the bass notes on count one and two(and muting) and strumming on the other four strings,,I would suggest(who am I) to do the strumming after the muting a bit lighter or losing up and I think you can open your fingers just more maybe all open but i see you watched Neil very good...hope he is coming in..

I am glad you did'nt had a accident anymore... ough :) :laugh: :laugh: :) B) :woohoo:

LoVe to see such a improvement

cheers

Willem

EDIT: I watched Neil again and saw his whole under arm is involved,,and you doing more out of you wrist and I geuss constant leaning with your hand on the bridge..gee I must watch myself,,this is just a great lesson for me too..

sbutler

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

That look of intensity is what did it. :) You sure look serious. Your muting IS coming along, but maybe your intensity is showing up in the way your hitting that guitar.

Maybe soften the gaze, and soften the strokes just wee bit. But Like the others have commented, your really gettin it. :laugh:

dennisg

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am

Very nice, Shel. Huge improvement. I think once you get more used to it and can clean it up a little bit, it'll be yet another technique that you've mastered and can integrate into your playing whenever the mood strikes.

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

Michelle
Brilliant......

First Video

dtaylor

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Michele, the whole effect looks more natural and easy for you (even though it doesn't feel it) and the sound is much improved. Time to start loosening up the elbow and taking bigger swings at it I reckon, that way you can vary the muting effect and the volume. Just lighten up up in the grip of the pick and it'll sound great.
مبروك
Dean

tovo

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Well on the way Shel. Great work.

michelew

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone. It's really nice to know that I'm on the right track. Still lots to work on. I'll definitnely work on lightening my strokes, getting the elbow involved, varying it and the intensity of my face ;) ;)

Posting these two progress videos have helped a lot. The advice and encouragement is priceless.

Chris - thanks heaps. That was all nice to hear.

Nessa - Woo Hoo!!!! Some muting and no blood! :) :) :) - the no injury is progress all by itself. Thanks.

Willem - it is a good lesson, definitely give it all a go and post a video when you're comfy with it. I'd be interested to see how you do things differently. Thanks for the observations, your fist comment was a large part of what helped me.

Scott - intense??? Me???? You must have watched another video, I'm ALWAYS so smiley in mine. :) :) are there any moose aboot the hoouse??? (auto correct makes it hard to talk moose-ese)

Dennis - master soon! Hah!!! But thanks for saying so, you're a sweetie.

Dermot thanks mate. Easy....well I'm glad it looks that way.

Dean - thanks for the extra advice I do want to get the percussive and bouncing effect going at some point. Ta.

Tony - your progress videos inspired me to put this up and if I hadn't I'd still be striking my pinky. Thanks.

Thanks!!!!

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic