>> Todays Target members only Student Video Review by Neil - Ventura Highway by schm040

tgjameela

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only student video reply by Neil is now live. Today we look at America - Ventura Highway by schm040.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=971

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks

TGNeil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 am

You're not changing the tempo, you're changing at what speed you're strumming. 4/4=8/8=16/16.

'Double time is doubling a rhythm pattern within its original bar structure'

In Matt's case, the tempo of the double time strumming and the single time strumming wasn't at the same tempo, that was the problem, so Neil's suggestion is to keep it in double time anyway.

Ness

thereshopeyet wrote:
Gosh, that's a tough looking song to learn.

Interesting review Matt thanks for posting !

So how do you practice going from double time to single time?
Do you have to practice them separately with a metronome and then joint the parts up
when they are automatic?

I mean, Neil suggest play all in double time, but how would you practice the speed change using a metronome
which can only be set at one tempo?

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Vanessa

Thanks.

michelew

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Depends on how you set the metronome, if you set it at quarter beats, you play two eight notes per quarter beat, or four 16th notes per quarter beat. If you set it at the speed of 16th notes, it takes two of those to play an 8th note, four of those to play a quarter note.

I'm sure Neil covers this in the Acoustic Genius Series. Somehow I got the feeling that I'm not telling you anything new here.

All in all, how do you practice that, COUNT/METRONOME and adjust the speed of the strumming, going from 16th notes to 8th notes ánd staying insíde the structure of the bar, or 8th notes to 4th notes and vice versa! :P

1 2 3 4 or 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and or 1 te ne te 2 te ne te 3 te ne te 4 te ne te. (the latter is in dutch, don't know how to write it down in english 'e and uh'?? :dry: :S )

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Vanessa

Thanks for the explanation.
I didn't really think that out well eh?
:blush:

Vanessa Wrote:
In Matt's case, the tempo of the double time strumming and the single time strumming wasn't at the same tempo.
Referring to the quote above...... assuming you wanted to continue playing it in double and single time how would you
practice correcting the tempo issue mentioned?

:S

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Vanessa

Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic