Animals House of the Rising Sun by mbleier

mbleier

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:54 pm

I have tried recording this one a few times and I never seem to be able to play in front of the camera. I at least got through it this time with some what I hope will be considered more minor gaffs. I also had some accompaniment from my five month old son Hayden. I enjoy playing and I enjoy your feedback.

Thanks all,

Mike

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dtaylor

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Nice pickin'!
You really ought to give a shout out to your backing singer though... :)

Edit: I wasn't sure if it was animal or human accompaniment, props Hayden!

willem

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi,,the song everybody should learn and you did,,for me it was the first song I learned and thought I could play it,,Then I followed a few ''fly's on the wall(I believe with Kevin and Fred) and what Neil teached in that is getting sustain going from one chord to the other so I practice it totally in a new way and its all a bout letting the fingers stay and release on the right moment so it goes also more legato,,combining one note to the other and I really have a hard time to get there..
I suggest see those video's,,also see the latest FOTW with Beaker over handpostion (righthand/pickinhand)..

the singin also goes more legato and I think you did that with only a few?? flat notes??

glad you upload this,,maybe we get a bonus to the lesson..thx for sharing

Willem

ps,,,I really enjoyed your vocal backing singer.. :cheer: your son right??

RicksPick

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Nice going Mike
Sounds like your son is trying to get in on the act,, sweet
Well done for getting through the song, recordings not easy
All sounded good a little fast maybe
When I uploaded this ( not as good as yours though) Neil told me to emphasize the 1st string

RicksPick

tovo

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey Mike. You should be damned proud of your playing here I think. Yeah the tempo is fast but very, very consistent and so I think it's fine. Fast, slow doesn't really matter that much, consistent tempo I think matters and you had that. You looked pretty much on top of the tune throughout.

Adding the extra complexity of singing is admirable.

Cheers mate, good work.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:16 am

Hey Mike, nice job picking that classic song and lovely backing from your little one too! That's exactly how I learned to play it to... on Spanish Classical guitar... works well. Nice job and thanks for posting!

thereshopeyet

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 am

Mike
Thanks.

jayswett

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:46 am

Nicely done. This song should be in every guitar player's repertoire. Lovely guitar, by the way.

buddy

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Wow very nice picking hear Mike. Enjoyed the little lad in the background as well.

mbleier

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks all for the feedback and input. It is much appreciated.

Dtaylor - Thanks for the kind words. Hayden loves to sing as I have been singing to him since he was born.

Willem - I will definitely go check out the FOTW videos. I used to check them out more but haven't watched one is quite some time. I know I could bend my wrist more on the right hand to straighter to the strings. I am sure there are some flat notes in my singing which needs to come a long way.

RicksPicks - Thanks for the nice comment. I often am better about the first string as I know it is important. I just have a hard time getting those details down in front of the camera.

Tovo - Thank you very much for the comment I really appreciate it. As far as the tempo goes, I don't think I am as fast as the animals play it in their version. I agree though that consistency is the most important. I may slow it back down as I try to work on some of the suggestions that others have made. I have been playing this one for a while and feel pretty comfortable with it although when that camera comes on I just have a hard time keeping it together.

Neverfoundthetime - Thanks for nice words they are grealy appreciated.

Dermont - Thanks for kind words it is a great song.

Jayswett - I agree it is one that anyone wanting to work on picking should learn this tune. Thanks for the comment about the guitar. My mom bought it two months after I was born and passed it down to me when I started playing a few years ago.

Buddy - Thanks a lot for the kind words. All of these positive comments really make you feel that you are making some progress. Hayden loves singing all though these days the picking tunes tend to knock him out which is what happened to him about five minutes after I finished this recording :) He should be able to sing every song I can play because they tend to be the ones that I sing to him regularly because they are the ones I know the words to :)

Thanks again everyone for the comments.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic