Vanessa Noodling around in Double dropped D by nesh16041972

stevem5000

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi TG-friends!

A few weeks ago I was sitting in the sun in the garden and just played, inspired by Neil’s lesson on Mr. Soul in which he shows how to just noodle around on the third (and second string) in this double dropped D-tuning . Gosh it felt so peacefull :) :) ! I wish that take was recorded, since I’ll never be able to do it again :S ! It also lasted way longer than three minutes, haha :laugh: ! Anyway, I kept noodling around with it and this is a bit of what I’ve been playing. Nothing fancy, just a couple of nice sounds I guess….

And since Neil mentioned in his weekly news wrap up:

'’ On a closing note- see what you can come up with in an improvisation
in Dropped D, starting with just playing melody notes on the third
string and keeping a steady bass pattern going.’’

So……..here it is……..hope you’ll enjoy…..!

Ness

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dtaylor

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Wow, that was transcendent, there's a lot more than noodling going on there, you sounded like you were telling a story. Sublime.

tovo

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Nice work Vanessa. Slightly haunting and very engaging. Love the glasses, they make you look very studious! :-) Always great to see you play, thanks for the upload.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Spooky! It was triggering Gold dust Woman in my mind all the way through. Great improve Vanessa... so glad you filmed it and uploaded for us to see.

michelew

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Nessa,

I have to agree with everything that's been said already. There's definitely more than noodling in there and it definitely feels like you're taking us on a journey - I'd love to hear your gorgeous voice coming in over the top of this telling us what the story means.

There are so many moods in there; peaceful, sad, danger/excitement, haunting, anticipation, contemplation, wonder (maybe) ... I loved the way you connected them all so effortlessly by bringing back elements of the original parts of the song - my words are failing me here to describe it properly - I've just woken up so my head isn't doing this justice.

I felt like I was falling under a spell initially and then you'd bring in an exciting new element to take my attention and the mood in a new direction. I loved the way you built the tension and the power/passion too, and how you'd then slip into another part of the story/experience; a new mood. I love the slides and what you're doing with the bass notes (the drone and the three (?) note riff that you repeat. I felt transported - if I keep listening maybe I'll end up in Morocco or somewhere with an exotic influence.

This is one of those songs that creeps into your head the more you listen to it - I'm already hearing the three note riff after only listening to it three times.

BTW - very CUTE glasses. :)

That's SOME bunch of just noodling and 'a couple of nice sounds'.

Nessa - you're awesome! I love what you're doing here.

Love

Shel

Craig

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Very cool Vanessa. I like the moody-ness of it. Thanks for sharing.

Craig

sbutler

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Wow Vanessa, that could very easily have been a sound track to movie. I liked that sound a lot. Don't much like the look of the sweatshirt (I'm starting to break mine out too) cause I know whats on the way.

Good job.

Scott

BobR

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Vanessa,

Very COOL noodling indeed !!!!! As Michele many moods involved.

Thanks for the look
Bob

cosmicmechanic

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Nice, Vanessa, very very, and quite obviously.

Now when do the lyrics get fitted in ? Wonderful noodling ... do you noodle words too ?

This would be a good tune to set a poem to.

Funny word, there: "noodle" ... suggests flexibility, something dynamic ... not yet set.

Keep on noodling in the free world !

Pierre

michelew

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Nessa,

By the way, while this might have started off as 'noodling', it is far more than that now. It's a song with multiple music lines in it. It's an instrumental.

Maybe a name change to this thread is in order. Although I guess you were responding to Neil's noodling upload request. :)

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic